Should I have all the glandular tissue removed? (Photo)

I had gynecomastia excision. My boobs are still really pointy. Whenever i wear shirts you can still see that they 're pointy. He did a revision but only did liposuction. He said he didn't want to remove glandular tissue because it would cause a sink in my chest. When I raise arms my chest is flat then goes to a point. Also there is a circle around my nipples. I can grab a lot of the glandular tissue.

Potential Need for Additional Glandular Tissue Removal

BRUISING AND SWELLING: Bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.

NUMBNESS: It is normal to experience numbness around the areola and chest. As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding.

LUMPINESS: As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue.

ACTIVITIES: If your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause pain. Wait at least 4 weeks to begin aerobic exercise.

As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first several days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time. The best thing to do if you experience questions or concerns during the healing process is to visit your surgeon for a follow-up to make sure that all is progressing as it should.

I would recommend an in person consultation to evaluate future treatment. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs many of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gynecomastia gland excision

It is difficult to provide you with advice without an examination. Generally when there is dense tissue underneath the nipple, an excision is beneficial to avoid the "pointy" appearance. This glandular tissue sometimes becomes more noticeable after liposuction since the surrounding fat has been reduced. The right amount of  glandular tissue can be resected to deliver a smooth contour without a sunken appearance, and scars are well-hidden around the areola.

Warm regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                          Village Plastic Surgery 

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia

You would have to be seen in person to determine what might be necessary. If it feels more glandular then a direct excision may be required.

Gynecomastia

Hello and thank you for your question. It is hard to answer this question without the benefit of an exam. With an exam it would be possible to determine how much glandular tissue can be removed. The concern for a depression is a valid concern. If you are comfortable with your surgeon I would heed his advice. 

Best Wishes

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician