I have been using laser hair removal for 2 years. I finished my 10th treatment yesterday and it hasn't worked. What can I do?

My side burns the main area I wanted treated and they have treated my neck which has got worse as well. They extended me 3 more treatments but I have been so patient and it hasn't gotten worse. I am beside myself and feel like this isn't gonna work. I don't know what else to do.

No luck with laser hair removal

There are a few different reasons that can explain your lack of results. To start, not everyone is a good candidate for laser hair removal. Without seeing any photos it is hard to evaluate, but hair removal works best on those who have dark hair and light skin because it works by detecting the pigment of the hair. Due to lack of pigmentation, laser hair removal is not ideal for those with blonde or grey hair. At first, it is common to see hair in these areas after treatment. This is not always because the laser isn’t working, but because a new hair is growing that needs to be treated. Hair that is very fine in texture, sometimes called “peach fuzz," is also not ideal for laser treatments. Seeing as you’ve had so many treatments and do not see any results, it’s also possible the setting on the laser is too low or the correct laser is not being used.

Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Failure of Laser Hair removal

Thanks for your question. Laser hair removal can occasionally cause hair growth if too low fluences (energy) are used. This is treatable with proper energy levels. This is more common in darker skin types. So, it may be that the device used and/or the settings were underpowered. You may want to consider a few treatments with a system such as the Vectus Laser. Alternatively, consider electrolysis though that can be a very long process. Be sure you have had your physician rule out hormonal imbalances such as polycyctic ovarian syndrome.
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician