Is there really a difference in healing time between conventional liposuction and laser liposuction?

I am considering liposuction to take off belly fat that has been with me most of my life and does not seem to be effected by diet and exercise. I am curious about the healing time claims that I keep hearing about.

Type of Liposuction

Although there are many claims, there is really no difference in the various methods of liposuction, super-wet, tumescent, ultrasonic, laser, water jet. The thing you need to look for is the qualifications of the physician doing the liposuction. The most reliable method is to find a board certified plastic surgeon with significant experience in liposuction. One reason for this is that there are quite a number of physicians doing liposuction with little or no training in liposuction, many of which are not even surgeons though the possible risks and complications, including death, require surgical knowledge. Many of these use technology like laser liposuction because the companies who distribute them provide basic training, though not enough to really learn how to do the procedures safely.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Larger liposuction volumes will typically require longer recoveries independent of the type of liposuction.

Best kind of liposuction machine

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Let your plastic surgeon choose your liposuction machine.
  • The kind of machine has little effect on your result, if any.
  • The heated machines (laser, vaser) do risk burns and nerve damage.
  • If your belly fat is internal, liposuction cannot remove it.
  • So have an examination with a plastic surgeon to find out if liposuction is right for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Healing Time: Laser Lipo vs Traditional

Many people are not aware that laser liposuction really involves 2 procedures, first a laser is used to soften the fat and connective tissue, and then a standard lipo cannula is used to perform traditional lipo of the area.  In my personal experience, the slight decrease in bruising I saw with some patients was simply not worth the longer procedure time and the added expense of the laser machine and fiberoptic cable.  Shop around for a good surgeon rather than a particular technology.   

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Liposuction healing time

Hello and thank you for your question.

You may have less bruising with the laser liposuction technique but the healing time is dependent on how large the area treated is and how much fat is to be removed. Your age and overall health factor into the healing time. If you look at the link provided, I show various time periods following ultrasonic liposuction. 

Good luck with your surgery!

Michael Kulick, MD, DDS