I had Botox injections in my jaw and temporalis yesterday. I'm still clenching just as hard, did the injection not take?

I had the injections yesterday maybe 20 hours ago

Botox Injections

Botox can take up to a week for full effect, so give it a few more days.  If at 2 weeks you are not completely satisfied with the appearance of the treated areas, follow up with your physician for a "touch-up". 

Botox Effects

Botox is a common treatment for cosmetic concerns such as wrinkles. It can also be used for TMJ or teeth grinding/clenching. Some people notice results after a Botox treatment within a day or so. But most people see their results three to seven days after a treatment. And some require up to two full weeks after a treatment for full results. It is important to be patient. Anecdotally some people see their results faster with Xeomin than with Botox. Please update us on your progress. Thank you.

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox

It is your practitioner's reponsibility to inform you that botulinum toxin takes 2 weeks for maximal effect and starts to work within 3-4 days. Be patient and I'm sure you will see great results.

Botox Injections

The soonest you should expect to see results is
3-5 days after injection, with most clients experiencing results ~ 7-10 days
after injection. Clenching though takes longer, more like 1-3 months.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Injections in Jaw

You ask an excellent question.  Botox takes about 5-7 days to start to kick in, meaning the muscles will start to weaken.  The maximal effects occur at 2 weeks and then gradually wear off over the course of 3-4 months.  It is completely normal not to see any effect at 20 hours after treatment.  It will gradually take affect.
Cody Koch

Cody A. Koch, MD, PhD
Des Moines Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Results

Thank you for your question. It is still very early. Botox can take a few days to start taking effect and can take up to about two weeks to take full effect. If you are still concerned with your results then I would recommend to followup with your provider.

Leonard Lu, MD

Thank you for your excellent question.  Most patients will begin to manifest effects from Botox administration at 3-5 days after injection with a peak effect at 10-14. Sounds as if you need to just allow more time to pass for the Botox to start working.  Hope this helps.

Botox and time for results

It can take 7-14 days after Botox injection to see results. 20 hours out is too soon to judge your results. Be patient, Botox works!

Hello Catherinestickles,
As the other physicians have mentioned, it takes time for Botox and any neuromodulator to work.  You will start to notice an effect in about 3 days and reach maximum effect in about 7-10 days.  If you don't see any result by then I would recommend following up with your injector for a higher dose.
I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Treatment

Hello and thank you for your question. As other doctors have mentioned the full effect of Botox treatment is seen around day 5. The results in the area you were injected will also depend on the amount of units they injected. Give it a few more days and if you still don't see any results go back to your injector and discuss this with him/her. Hope this helps, regards Dr. S.