Rapid recovery BA

Looking to have a rapid recovery breast augmentation. Why does it seem to be so un heard of? My surgeon has been performing this method since 2008. I'm not getting a second opinion because rapid recovery is important to me and I'm unable to find another surgeon who uses this method to compare. Any risks I am not aware of? Thanks!

"rapid recovery" breast augmentation is marketing of careful and precise surgery. Some might call this "hype."

Plenty has been written about "rapid recovery" techniques. There is nothing new or special about precise surgical technique, careful tissue handling and dissection, meticulous hemostasis, no-touch technique, and use of Exparel extended-release local anesthetic, long-acting local anesthetic in the breast pocket, use of the Keller funnel, oral muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medications, and sufficient post-op visits, resumption of activities gradually, and correct use of elastic bandeaus, bras, and scar minimization treatments.

Wow! I just "gave away" the secret formula for my own brand of "Overnight Recovery" "Flash Recovery" or "Dr. Tholen Super-Duper Best Breast Augmentation Ever."

If you think your surgeon has something special the rest of us don't, then s/he has done a superb job of marketing. Don't get me wrong--some plastic surgeons do indeed use blunt dissection, drains, stuff their implants in by hand, and wrap their augmentation patients in tight Ace wraps or surgical bras to decrease bleeding and bruising (pain). So those of us who prefer careful and meticulous surgical techniques really are different than those I described previously.

EVERYONE wants "rapid recovery." But there is no way a surgeon can speed up collagen synthesis, blood vessel repair, scar maturation, or the biochemical process of healing (other than to minimize the trauma and what the body has to repair). This is why careful surgery (re-read my first paragraph for the exact formula) always is "better" than simply creating a cavity with blunt dissection, and stuffing in implants without regard for blood or contamination with bacteria leading to biofilm and a higher risk of capsular contracture. Lots of Dermatologists do exactly this and call themselves "cosmetic surgeons." They can't market their surgical "training," so lots of them choose to market themselves in other ways; this is one. Unfortunately, many plastic surgeons also market the pseudo-technique of "Rapid Recovery." Careful surgery is not trademarked, nor is it exclusive to a select handful of surgeons who "know the secret formula."

Actually, I think you need to read my Comprehensive Guide to Breast Augmentation, available by clicking on the web reference link below. 28 pages chock-full of information about how to obtain the best outcome and the easiest recovery. Sounds as if your surgeon has 8 years of experience. My own experience is 29 years after my 7 years of surgical and plastic surgical training at the Mayo Clinic. You can certainly decide if your own surgeon's magic wand is better than anyone else's! I'd recommend a few other opinions. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

"Rapid Recovery" is nothing more than a marketing term. Most experienced, board certified plastic surgeons use the same techniques and have great results with quick recovery in most patients. It may be unheard of as it is not an actual process and only a marketing term.

Rapid recovery breast augmentation?

Rapid recovery breast augmentation is a great marketing phrase but there is usually nothing unique about what that surgeon does.  Early range of motion exercises and similar protocols may make you feel better sooner, but your surgical site heals at the same rate as other breast augmentation patients.  Although the though of a rapid recovery is desirable, you must also balance this with allowing for your surgical wounds to heal.  Make sure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Rapid recovery breast augmentation?

The rapid recovery breast augmentation really depends on the technique used by the surgeon doing the procedure. Without blunt tearing of tissues, and leaving next to no blood in the pocket, the patient is more comfortable in the early phases of the recovery period allowing them to return to a more normal life style sometimes in just a day. I find that everyones pain tolerances are different and often times will adjust my instructions to the patient based on that. Good luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Rapid Recovery

Rapid recovery is a term which may be misinterpreted but generally means that a BA patient can have minimal pain/tissue trauma/bruising, minimal pain medication required and they can get back to much of their regular activity faster than was previously possible.  

Choosing the correct size of implant and careful surgical technique have much to do with this. The only instrument that is used during my breast augmentation surgery is something called a forceps electrocautery. This instrument is used to not just create the pocket (space) for the implant, but to also seal blood vessels to eliminate bleeding.  Many of my patients take little or no narcotic pain medication and often report no bruising.

It would not be realistic to promise "no pain" or "no swelling" but rapid recovery techniques are now common and expected. If meeting with various doctors, as about their surgical techniques and post op care.

All the best

Breast augmentation

Rapid recovery can refer to a combination of meticulous technique, early return to activity, and avoidance of sedating pain medications.  There are many excellent Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with exceptional skills who can provide both an exceptional result and a quick recovery.

John Burns, MD

Rapid recovery

Most board certified plastic surgeon do offer a good safe fast recovery plan. "Rapid recovery" is a marketing term. More importantly, ask your plastic surgeon what that means and during your second opinion consultations, ask them what they think of the recovery techniques. I think you find them to be the same.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Rapid recovery breast augmentation.

There are many methods we use for a safe and rapid recovery after breast augmentation, and our patients are all back to work under a week. Still augmentation will require healing and repair, and each of us will heal at our own rate, and experience recovery differently. If you feel your surgeon is honest and knows something the rest of us do not, don't get another opinion. But the risk is you have an incomplete idea of what breast augmentation might be like.

Breast augmentation

Rapid recovery techniques are pretty much a standard of care in breast augmentation today. A few years ago some surgeons coined the phrase rapid recovery in order to market themselves as better  breast augmentation surgeons. The truth is they use the same techniques as everyone else. If you are going to a rapid recovery breast augmentation surgeon then those words fulfilled their purpose. If you are only getting one opinion then they  really did a good job!I am sure you will get a good result but know that most surgeons use those techniques they just don't use those words.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Rapid recovery

"Rapid recovery" sounds great, but remember, your body will need time to heal from any surgery. Placing an implant inside the body does require some cutting and stretching no matter who does it. Most women can resume full activities by 6 weeks.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon