What procedures would need to be done to make my breasts even/natural looking and would it be covered by insurance? (Photo)

I recently had my first child. I learned from the lactation consultant that I have insufficient glandular tissue. Due to this I do not produce enough milk and had to give up on breastfeeding. I have always felt embarrassed that my breast never developed and now knowing I can't feed any of my children I want to get them fixed. However, confidence comes at a price that might be too high if insurance will not cover it. Thank you

It all depends on your insurance carrier.

Sadly, your case will most likely be considered cosmetic by your insurance company.  Occasionaly, they will cover the breast reduction on your left but rarely would they cover placing an implant on your right (you really need both surgeries).  See a few surgeons in your area and see what they have to say.  It can't hurt to ask.  Good luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

You will likely need an implant on the smaller breast and a lift and maybe a small reduction on the larger one. Unfortunately, insurance companies wold likely consider this cosmetic.

Breast asymmetry

Your breast condition is certainly not normal.  Correction would involve, after an examination and consultation a breast augmentation on the right and a breast lift / augmentation on the left.  In a perfect world this would be considered reconstructive and thus covered by insurance but in today's world most insurance is going to consider it cosmetic and not covered.  

Breasts asymmetry correction

Dear sweet sassy,
  Thanks for submitting your picture. From observing picture, you appear to have very small A cup on the right side and C cup size with level 3 ptosis on the left side.
    The corrective surgery will require breasts implant on the right side  and full breasts lift (key hole ) surgery on the left side. Unfortunately for you, the insurance companies do not cover that type of corrective surgery, since there is no medical indication for surgery.
   There is no question that you will benefit enormously  from the corrective surgery in regard to your self esteem and sense of femininity. So do your due diligence and consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive.
                             Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
McLean Plastic Surgeon

Poland's syndrome affects breast development.

When breast asymmetry is quite severe, your surgeon might consider Poland's syndrome. This is an inherited condition in which the breast does not develop on one side, and the chest muscle does not develop as well. Other findings can be one arm slightly shorter than the other on the affected side. Such conditions have a good chance for insurance help to improve the asymmetry.

What procedures would need to be done to make my breasts even/natural looking and would it be covered by insurance?

Appears as severe asymmetry or hypomastia of one breast. I doubt insurance would cover but worth having a boarded PS write to them on your behalf.. 

Reconstruction

Your level of asymmetry makes your case a reconstructive case that should be covered by insurance.  An in person exam is indicated to determine if you have Poland's syndrome, anterior thoracic hypoplasia, or breast hypoplasia.  Correction would involve expanding the hypoplastic breast skin with a tissue expander and in a second stage exchanging the expander for a shaped silicone gel implant and performing a reduction of the larger size for symmetry. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Correcting assymetry

You see a bunch of different answers here because there are different options. Obviously you would need an in person consultation and evaluation, but I'll share my thinking here based on your photos.

Implanted breasts and natural breasts behave differently and look different. Because of this I am not a fan of just implanting one side. I feel that patients are often more symmetric with either two natural breasts ot two implanted breasts.

In order to achieve this in your case a significant reduction of the left breast would give you a much better starting situation, followed by bilateral implants.

I hope the concept makes sense and is helpful as you consider your options. You Insurance carrier will usually be able to tell you if your policy can help cover these costs.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Re: Correcting Asymmetry/Insurance

There are certain to be surgical options out there for you. I would begin by finding a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area and scheduling a consultation.  I would imagine their recommendation would be to implant the right breast while performing a lift or reduction of the left breast.

With regard to insurance, a good first step might be to contact your insurance company and ask if these types of procedures are covered under your plan.

Robert G. Aycock, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced secondary to breast asymmetry. There are many options when it comes to improving your symmetry. For example, a breast reduction/lifting operation would certainly be necessary. An augmentation on the other side may also be helpful.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Then, communicate your goals carefully. Working together you will come up with the best plan to achieve your goals. Best to check directly with your specific insurance company/policy whether or not breast asymmetry surgery will be potentially cover. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast asymmetry concerns) helps. Best wishes.