What is the best treatment for a touch of crepey neck skin? (photos)

I'm 40 but no one ever believes it and I'd love to keep it that way. My skin is taut everywhere but the area on my neck just over my throat. It's crepey and ages me terribly. I recently had a chin augmentation and thought it might help pull some of the skin up but 2 months out & it actually seems worse like it pulled my platysma band out. I take collagen and use Nectifirm but it seems to be getting worse at an alarming rate. Would love a more defined jawline and neck angle with less crepiness

What is the best treatment for a touch of crepey neck skin?

Hello Healthyxic - Thanks for your question.  From you description, it sounds like it might be time for some RF skin tightening of the neck. Your doctor can use a special noninvasive device to heat the skin to a critical temperature that triggers collagen tightening. Another option would be microneedling and PRP injections. In most cases, they both work quite well in my experience.  In addition to this, my patients use a neck tightener known as Neck Elixir, which I've developed in a line of medical grade skin care known at Alchemy Aesthetics.  It has several key ingredients, including a gentle retinol to resurface and tighten the neck skin.  Here in Denver, this is a common complaint in my young, active, slim patient population. Finally, in your particular case, Botox to the platysmal band might help soften its appearance after the chin implant.  If that doesn't work, a platysma myotomy can be performed through a tiny incision in one of the horizontal wrinkles you have in your neck skin.  This procedure cuts the band and separates the ends to reduce the bowstringing or tethering effect you see.  I hope this helps. Good luck, Dr. Shah

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Crepe neck skin

I agree you appear to be doing the right things. I would suggest a very small amount of Ultherapy to lift and tighten the skin nonsurgically. I recommend it to most of my patients over 40 in small sessions as a preventative measure, maybe 2-3 times per decade, to stave off needing surgery down the road. It should help smooth out that skin for you in 1-2 sessions, neck only, so not too expensive.

Crepe neck skin

Treating Crepey Neck Skin

It's best to begin by consulting with a surgeon in-person. The presence of banding down the front of the #neck, and, amount of excess skin and condition of your skin are among some factors which determine what treatments will best rejuvenate your neck .

During your initial examination, your chin will be evaluated along with the neck and jawline. A weak #chin implies a lack of chin support for the skin along the neck line. In younger individuals a chin implant alone is usually all that is needed to improve the appearance of the neck. Subsequently, it will also improve the overall #balance of the face and can create the illusion of a smaller nose. As a stand-alone procedure, chin augmentation can be performed in the office under local #anesthesia. For individuals with signs of #aging in the neck, a chin implant added to one of the recommended procedures above, will provide optimal results.

However, you may want to consider Lite-lift™ which is an affordable, quick, and effective innovative facelift developed by board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Larry Nichter and myself. The goal of the #LiteLift is to provide a less invasive natural looking option for both men and women desiring to refresh their appearance with less downtime and risks. The LiteLift® is a “real” facelift, which does address the underlying muscle, tissue and overlying skin.

This is a modified facelift that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with stable skin elasticity, well-defined bone structure but showing early changes of the lower face and the neck. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™. All in all, Lite Lift™ surgery is individualized for each patient.

A board certified plastic surgeon should evaluate both your anatomical features and aesthetic goals to suggest which procedure best suits your needs. In some cases there may be more than one option to choose from. If you are not a candidate at the time of your #consultation, your board surgeon can recommend non-surgical alternatives to address your concern.

Treating Crepey Neck Skin

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. You should remain patient after the chin implant as you patients tend to experience better results as they continue to recover. Meanwhile, you should keep your board certified facial plastic surgeon aware of your recovery progress and of your desire to improve the neck through surgical and non-surgical techniques. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck skin treatment

A non-surgical option that could improve the thin prominent bands of muscle in your anterior neck is botox. Usually 15-20 units of botox are injected into each band resulting in a softened appearance. In young patients such as yourself I have also had success with an isolated submentoplasty (platysmaplasty) which involves tightening the platysma muscle in the neck through a small hidden incision under the chin.

Neck skin treatment

Neck lift with platysmaplasty

It seems as if this would be best treated with platysmaplasty with neck tightening.  You could also try botox but the effects will be temporary.  Its best to seek consultation with a certified and experienced surgeon.

Neck lift with platysmaplasty

Treatment for crepy neck skin and platysma banding

Botox can accomplish reduction of early platysma banding, but it is only temporary. A neck lift with a platysma plasty and conservative skin removal can accomplish rejuvenation of the neck.

Hello Healthyxic,The neck is one of the more difficult areas to treat for crepey skin because the skin is different than that on the face.  There are retinol derivatives which are more mild than those used on the face which can help to some extent.  Nectifirm falls under this category, but there are several other options if that is not working for you.  Resurfacing is the gold standard on other parts of the body for this type of issue with lasers or chemical peels, but on the neck the risk of scarring with those treatments is much higher.  That's why I don't usually recommend those to patients on the neck. You could consider a neck lift which can help to take the slack out of the skin.  This can both help to improve the jaw line as you mentioned and the crepey skin.  It could also help with your platysmal band which is more prominent on your right side.  This may be more than you need at this point, but it is an option.  Another option for that platysmal band is to inject Botox into it.  This helps to soften the band although it rarely will make it go away completely. I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to evaluate your concerns in person and determine the best treatment option to help you meet your goals based on your anatomy.I hope this helps and good luck.