Should I possibly have Voluma or Restalyne or Sculptra for the mid cheek areas of my face? (Photos)

I'm debating on having voluma or restalyne to the mid cheek areas of my face. Last year I had restalyne 1 syringe on the corners of mouth and I bruised heavily so I'm not sure this is a good route but I have seen good results with this product on others. Ive had dysport around my eye area and I think it's caused my cheeks to sag and give slight bags under my eyes. What do you suggest to help my facial appearance? I am 32 years old. Thanks !

Don't double down on bad service.

You hare getting a horrible Dysport service.  Don't get another bad service to compensate for a bad service.  Your forehead is terrible frozen.  The under eye bags can definitely be related to the Dysport treatment.  Rather than getting a bad treatment, let the Dysport wear off and consider the Microdroplet Lift the next time you are ready for botulinum toxin.  Challenge with under eye/midface treatment is it is fussy.  For that reason, companies have tried to dumb down the service in order to sell more product.  For Volume, doc are advised to inject a massive wade of Voluma low in the check.  The result is dreadful (Think Rene Zwelleger's funky cheeks).  You need much more artfully done service.  The challenge is finding better service where you live-not so easy.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Don't double down on bad service.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Voluma, Sculptra and Restalyne

Thank you for your photos. It’s important to understand the differences between your options. Voluma and Restalyne are fillers derived from hyaluronic acid which is a moisturizer found naturally in your body. Fillers will give your mid cheek area additional volume which is temporary.  Typically Voluma lasts up to a year and Restalyne 3-6 months depending on the area treated. Sculptra on the other hand is an injectable treatment that functions as a volumizer and causes your body to produce its own filler. It is used to add volume to the face. Sculptra is a purified treatment of poly-L-lactic acid. When injected in the face, it stimulates your body to produce additional collagen, which will fill in the desired areas. Your body will begin producing collagen after a few weeks. Most people get 2-3 treatments to achieve ideal results. Once achieved, these results may last up 2-3 years. For more information, it is best to get a in person consultation with a board-certified dermatologist.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Voluma, Sculptra and Restalyne

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Facial Rejuvenation Treatment Plan -- Lasers, RF treatments (Thermage, Exilis), Sculptra, Botox, Fillers Like Belotero, Voluma

YES!  we use sculptra as a base in my younger patients and then do enhancement of certain problem areas with voluma, radiesse, restylane or juvederm.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Should I possibly have Voluma or Restylane or Sculptra for the mid cheek areas of my face?

The Juvederm family of fillers (including Juvederm Voluma) as well as the Restylane family of fillers (including Restylane Lyft) are all hyaluronic acid based fillers.  The Voluma and Lyft products are both thicker gels designed to provide more of a lifting effect that is immediate and lasts up to one year.  Sculptra is a collagen stimulator (replacing lost volume by causing the skin to naturally thicken) that takes up to nine months to achieve its full effect and lasts over two years.  Sculptra is very effective at replacing lost volume over the entire mid-face, as well as increase projection over the cheek bones, modify the jawline, etc.

I would recommend that you consult with physicians experienced at using each of these options, who will be able to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each option and help you select the appropriate option to achieve your goals.

Should I possibly have Voluma or Restalyne or Sculptra for the mid cheek areas of my face?

Hello Lindthom,

There are many great options out there for facial rejuvenation.  As you  mentioned, fillers are commonly used to restore volume.  Voluma is a long lasting filler ideal to help raise the cheek area.  Restylane is shorter acting and a more superficial injection.  I like it for the tear trough but I am not a fan of it for the cheeks, but you might hear something else from others.  Sculptra doesn't provide immediate results but it can lead to significant long term volume addition by stimulating collagen growth.  However, based on your pictures you don't have near the volume less to recommend Sculptra.  If you felt the Dysport around your eyes caused your cheeks to fall and bags to develop below your eyes, it's possible your injector went too far down.  This can happen and is really injector dependent, but it should not be a reflection of the actual product.  

I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon who does his or her own injections. This would provide the best combination of skill since they focus only on the face and experience since you are getting a physician injector.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

Hello Lindthom,

I hope this helps and good luck.  

Sculptra vs Restylane vs Voluma in the cheeks

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos.  Each of the products you mentioned can help with your concerns in different fashions.  Sculptra is great to provide longer-term support in the soft tissue and the outer portions of the face.  It works by stimulating your own collagen.  With certain injection techniques, Voluma can be used to help support the cheek and can even influence the folds around the mouth and jowl region.  Sometimes using the combination of the two can provide the most natural results.  Restylane can also be used but doesn't have the same long term effect or as much support as the other two products.  If you are trying to influence the corners of mouth or even the outer smile lines, then you can consider some of the newer members of the Restylane family - Restylane Refyne and Defyne.  They provide a very soft correction to areas with high movement.

To help with the bruising, there are certain techniques that can be employed to minimize the chances of this happening, and if you do bruise, there are certain post-procedure devices that can help accelerate the life-cycle of the bruise.  As for the Dysport, if you feel like it caused the cheek to sag, then some of the product may have unintentionally reached muscles that support the cheek.  As a trainer for Allergan (makers of Voluma, Juvederm and Botox) and Galderma (makers of Sculptra, Dysport and Restylane), I spend a great deal of the training teaching the underlying anatomy and personalizing the assessment of each patient to help develop a plan to help each patient achieve the most natural version of themselves.  Having worked with many injectors, I can say that experience matters to a great degree, and perhaps even more so than what product is used.  I would recommend you find an experienced injector in your area to help you with your aesthetic journey.

Juvederm Voluma is the Best Filler for the Mid-face! (In 2017)

Hi lindthom,

Thank you for your question and photographs! 

Without question Juvederm Voluma is the best option for treatment the mid-face:

- It was the first dermal filler to actually have an FDA indication for the mid-face.

- It's spongy consistency is strong enough to lift the skin in the mid-face AND soft enough to feel natural

- Results last up to 2 years AND are reversible if needed

- Results are seen immediately and usually and it usually cases minimal swelling or bruising

I hope this was helpful!

Good luck and stay beautiful

Hi lindthom,

I hope this was helpful!

Good luck and stay beautiful

What to do?

I like the dermal fillers for your midface. Neuromodultaors seem to be causing more trouble than helping. You need to have less Dysport injected and higher on the orbicular muscle. I am a big fan of Restylane Lyft when the patient requires a more serious cheek lift. You will need at least 2 syringes to make a difference. For mid face volume, I would dilute some of the product and it will do well and not be too firm. 

Good luck!

What to do?

Good luck!