Neck lift scar question: Can you tell me if this is a normal scar? (photos)

I recently had a neck lift and I am left with a rather large ugly scar that I did t expect. Can you tell me if this is a normal scar? Is there anything that can be done about a scar like this to revise it?

Neck Lift Scarring

The appearance of this scar is not normal for a neck lift. The raised nature of the scar indicates that it might be a hypertrophic scar, which is the result of excessive collagen deposits. Before considering any scar revision procedures or corrective measures, you should wait until you are certain your tissue has had adequate time to heal (approximately 6-12 months). Consult your surgeon for an evaluation and advice on scar management. In the meantime, you can take immediate measures to protect tissue and prevent the scar from worsening, such as shielding the neck area from the sun and massaging with a silicone gel.

Neck Lift Scarring

Each patient has a unique response to surgical and non-surgical facial plastics procedures. For that reason, it is very important you follow your surgeon's recommended recovery plan as diligently as possible. How long has it been since surgery? I ask because I would like to suggest you make a follow-up appointment one month post op. The appointment will allow you to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision post neck lift

I would suggest that your scar is slightly hypertrophic however it would be helpful to know how long its been since your neck lift.

Scars mature and fade overtime and if its only early days for you then I would suggest you start moisturising and massaging the scar to soften it and help it fade.

It would be worthwhile consulting with the surgeon who performed the procedure who can advise you.

Neck lift scar

This scar is certainly not normal. Not only is the scar hypertrophic (thickened and raised) and pink, that kind of "Y" shaped scar in the middle of the neck is not a typical approach in necklift surgery. I would seek a second opinion from a well-qualified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon.

Sean Maguire, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift scar question: Can you tell me if this is a normal scar?

Your scar is hypertrophic, however if your surgery has been done in the last couple of months, it may improve with local scar care such as silicone scar sheeting (Embrace) and/or hydrocortizone injections.  I would suggest waiting at least 6 months following your procedure before considering a revision of the scars (the results will be better if you allow the scars to mature and soften).  Best wishes, Dr.Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Scarring on Neck After Neck Lift

This is not normal scarring or incisions for a neck lift at least in my area of practice (beverly hills , CA).  this can be treated for hypertrophic scarring with 5fu/steroid injections, fractional laser, and pulsed dye or yellow lasers.  Although, I suggest you speak to your treating physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Is this a normal neck lift scar

Hello Makj2012,

The picture you provided is not part of the normal healing process.  You have multiple areas where excess scar tissue is forming (hypertrophic scars).  To prevent them from worsening you should see your surgeon immediately.  You would likely benefit from steroid injections and possibly laser therapy.  Failure to address these in an appropriate amount of time can lead to permanent scars. 

I hope this helps and good luck.

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

NoT normal facelift scar for sure!

NoT normal facelift scar for sure! You need to wait until 6 months after surgery and then you need it removed and revised by a Very Experienced facelift surgeon.

Facelift scars

Thank you for your question.  Scars look worrisome, but hard to make a concrete opinion without knowing more facts.  I would seek opinion from the operating surgeon.  Good luck, Dr. Bublik.

Michael Bublik, MD

Scar

Agree with the other responses.  This is not a normal scar for a neck lift.  again, seek silicone based scar gels and ask about steroid injections etc.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon