I have V shape scars from Breast augmentation - normal? Wasn't told after surgery that implant didn't fit. (photos)

I have V shape scars. The doctor said that durning surgery my implants (HP475L & 500R) kept popping out so he had to make a bigger incision. I was told this when i started crying over my scars AFTER i got my stitches taken out & from my friend who's boyfriend owns the surgery center. . I was not told after surgery the implants couldn't fit. they will do laser but I'm upset and don't know which actions to take on this issue. (please don't leave rude comments)

Scars after surgery

I have never seen that scar pattern used in 30 years of plastic surgery. The implants chosen were very large and I am surprised they even thought they could use the areola incision because yours look small. If they didn't fit, that incision could potentially have been closed and new, less obvious ones could have been made in the creases at the bottom of the breasts. Are you sure this was really a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who did your procedure?

Scars after surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

V shaped scars after breast augmentation

Your surgeon is a quack. He or she is clearly not anyone who was trained at an accredited plastic surgery program.  I can assure you that they are also not board-certified by the American Board of plastic surgery. Those incisions defy common sense  and demonstrate extremely poor judgment on the part of your surgeon.   We try at all cost to avoid any incisions on the upper part of the breasts that could be visible in a low-cut dress or bikini top. You have every right to be upset and angry. The public needs to be warned about your surgeon.  Very upsetting for the competent plastic surgeons on this thread who have to see that as well.  Go find an attorney. I wish you the best.

Chevron scar on breast that show above bras

are really inexcusable and you were asked to check with your surgeon for a valid reason why the scar went as it did.  Large implants are not a valid reason to make a scar such as that.  And if the implants were too large, you should have never been offered a peri-areolar approach.  And if your surgeon was set on using that approach, the limbs should have gone downwards rather than upwards as you can at least hide that scar.  Your surgeon (and I hope he isn't a board certified plastic surgeon) should be doing everything possible to help you through this.

Alternative scar

Dear Ally.  I am so sorry to hear of your situation and can only imagine your disappointment. I have never seen a scar of this type.  Are you sure that your surgeon is board certified in Plastic Surgery?  Regardless, there is no "easy fix" to this situation.  I highly recommend that you get a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in revision breast surgery; while I appreciate that whoever did this to you is trying to remedy the situation, I wouldn't want you to take any chances of making this situation any worse than it is. I wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Alternative scar

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Clearly NOT standard of care

First of all, I am sorry that you have had to go through this experience. This incision pattern is highly unusual and non-standard.  As my colleagues have echoed in past posts, you should seriously question the credentials of the surgeon that placed these implants. 

Unfortunately, this may not be the end of your issues and I would remain vigilant for signs and symptoms of infection, malpositioning of the implants, and capsular contraction. 

Please, please, please share this experience with your friends and use the opportunity to be sure that they do their homework  and thoroughly vett the surgeon that will perform the operation. Remember, with every surgery there is risk, and legitimate board-certified plastic surgeons can help you manage this risk by employing board-certified anesthesiologists and performing surgery in state certified ambulatory surgery centers. 

You have received many helpful suggestions in previous posts. Good luck as you move forward.

Clearly NOT standard of care

Botched

In 25 years of practice I have seen the results of many poorly done operations, some by board certified plastic surgeons but most by self proclaimed experts who do not have the proper training to perform the procedures that they do.  Unfortunately, in California anyone with an MD may call themselves a plastic surgeon and do whatever they want in their own offices.  What was done to you has got to be the worst example of a botched breast augmentation I have ever seen.   I place 500cc implants through 5 cm (2 inch) incisions all the time with little difficulty.  There was absolutely no reason to extend the incisions in the manner that was done in order to get your implants in.  If your tissues were too tight to accommodate that size implant then a smaller implant should have been used.  You have sadly been permanently disfigured by someone who board certified or not, clearly has no idea of what they are doing and you will have to live with permanent scars on your breasts.  To the already made recommendations that you find yourself a good lawyer as well as the help of a board certified plastic surgeon, I would suggest that you report this to the Medical Board of California so that they can initiate an investigation into your case. 

Botched

Please seek a second opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

I am going purely by what you have said in your post and the photographs you have posted.

As with everyone else who has commented here so far, I think these scars are VERY unusual. I cannot think of a single situation where I would need to do this to both breasts during a routine BA. Looking at the photo you have posted with what I am presuming are your 'before' breasts, this really should have been a routine BA for you.

The skin above the nipple is sacrosanct (except in cancer surgery, and even then we try our best to avoid going there), so I am really struggling to understand why this skin has been cut. 

I am also not convinced that laser treatment will eliminate the scars significantly.

I hardly ever say this, but, as well as advice from a Board Certified surgeon, legal advice might be worth thinking about.

I wish you the very best of luck.

I wish you the very best of luck.

Very unusual scars

I have to agree with the rest of the consultants here.  I have never seen this type of incision used any type of cosmetic breast surgery.  It just doesn't make sense.  I doubt very highly that your surgery was performed by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon (certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, not some other "Cosmetic" board).  Your only recourse is to treat the scars and wait for them to fade.  You might consider seeing another surgeon to help you with scar management.  

Very unusual scars

Vertical Cuts

I have never seen this incision in my entire surgical practice, nor read about it anywhere. Ask for an explanation and may be if you are not satisfied ask for a second opinion from another plastic surgeon.

Vertical Cuts

Incision

I have never seen this incision used and feel the surgeon should have used a Keller funnel or made an incision in the crease

Dr Corbin

Incision

Dr Corbin