Aftercare for a chemical peel?

I just had my first chemical peel on my face. I wasn't given any aftercare instructions other than to stay out of the sun and moisturize. I'm not sure when I should wash my face or with what. Or what I should use to moisturize. I would love any input. I've been reading posts and it sounds like I should have been given this information.

Peel After Care

There are many different types of chemical peels; superficial, medium, and deep. It sounds as if you had a superficial peel because their instructions were so minimal. If you had an enzyme peel or similar light peel, there is really not to much for after care besides moisturizing and sun protection. I would recommend calling the office and ask them for more details.
The medium and deeper peels require greater patient involvment afterwards to help achieve the desired outcome.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Aftercare for a chemical peel?

Thanks for your question. I would suggest asking the clinic where you received your treatment for specific instructions on the type of peel you had. Mild cleansers and moisturizers are typically recommended.   

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Chemical Peel and After Care NYC

You should always receive written instructions after any procedure.  The after care is very important and I would definitely contact your physician to ask them what they suggest.  We usually prescribe sunscreens and rich moisturizers and Vitamin C serum after the peel.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Aftercare for a chemical peel?

Hello Erinhedstrom,

I would call your treating provider.  The after care for a chemical peel is almost as important as the actual procedure.  Failure to take proper care of the skin can lead to prolonged healing, prolonged redness, and in some cases scarring.  In general treatment involves not picking the crusts, keeping the area moist (this one is variable but I do have my patients keep a particular ointment on), some will have you clean with a solution, some will have you clean with water, and some will have you avoid cleaning at all.  Avoid the sun and avoid anything coming in contact with the peeled area. 

I recommend you call your treating provider to find out your specific instructions for your specific peel. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Care for Peels

Thank you for your question. I would suggest reaching out to the provider who applied your peel for post care instructions. Each peel is different in strength and can vary on post care instructions. Basic post care for all peels are to stay out of the sun, wear SPF, DON'T PICK, use mild products such as cleansers and moisturizer and keep your skin hydrated, usually a heavier moisturizer is required initially.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon