Options? Tummy tuck, lipo, or coolsculpting? (photo)

My stomach is bloated and I have loose skin throughout. I'm a bit scared of a full tummy tuck...can I benefit from lipo?

Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction Options

Thank you for posting your photography with your interesting question. Assuming that you are not planning on a future pregnancy, I would strongly recommend a tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks. A tummy tuck will tighten the laxity of your abdominal skin and rectus muscles and will give you the best results. I prefer the abdominoplasty operation where the incision is low and concealed within your usual under ware or bikini bottom. This procedure with liposuction will create a youthful narrow waistline and a youthful vertically oriented belly button. Liposuction alone will remove the excess fat without tightening your loose muscles and increase the appearance of your lax skin with stretch marks. I recommend that you have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced with tummy tucks and can examine you, answer all of your questions, and show you dozens of their before and after tummy tuck results. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Tummy tuck or Lipo

With the amount of loose skin and muscle looseness you have your best choice is to get a tummy tuck. Liposuction or cool-sculpting would be of no use and leave you with a less than "good" result.

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question and for sharing a photo. You seem to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction. Because you have some loose skin, liposuction alone would only remove fat, causing even more loose skin. I would recommend undergoing a lateral tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck to tighten the muscles and remove loose skin. Liposuction can be performed at the same time to add contour to your waistline. You need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question and the photo. You are a good candidate for both the techniques in 1 surgery. First TT to tighten the muscles and flatten the stomach and then lipo to take excess fat away and curve your shapes. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Options? Tummy tuck, lipo, or coolsculpting?

Lipo is treatment for excess fat. A TT will treat the loose skin and lax muscle. I will recommend both for ideal outcome. Seek a plastic surgeon that performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Thank you for the question. You will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery; definitive advice however would necessitate much more information. You will not be pleased with the outcome and of any "lesser procedure" or noninvasive modality.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. Keep in mind, that it is a major operation, associated with a significant physical (and often emotional) recovery period. Having enough help/support at home for yourself and children will be important part of the planning process. 
 You may also find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck

Hello again novalady,    Thanks for submitting your picture. From observing you picture, you appear to have significant skin and muscle laxity from your chest bone to the pubic bone. Any procedure other that full tummy tuck will be an unhappy compromise, which will bring you, after all, to request full tummy tuck later on with additional cost and doubling the recover time.   I understand your concerns about tummy tuck, however, when done by an experienced board certified plastic surgeons who perform surgery in accredited surgery center, it is a very safe surgery. This procedure will be one of the best investments in yourself, increasing your self esteem, sense of femininity and making shopping fun again... You will end up with flat stomach, tight and youthful skin, nice belly button and most likely you will lose weight due to the muscles tightening that will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and the sense of hunger.   As far as combining tummy tuck and liposuction at the same time , I strongly discourage it due to the significant increase in the possibility of severe complication. In a recent article in the plastic surgery journal, which was based on data from insurance company that insures only cosmetic surgery cases, it was demonstrate that the combination of tummy tuck and liposuction increases the complication rate X 10! In Florida it is illegal to do tummy tuck with liposuction of over 1000 cc (relatively small amount) due to the significant number of complications (including death) that occurred in that state from combining the two procedures.    Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with flat stomach, low scar and nice belly button. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.                                       Best of luck,                                                                 Dr Widder

TT and Lipo

Hello. You will need a full tummy tuck in addition to liposuction of the flanks and back. Your excess skin and loose abdominal muscles can be repaired with with the TT. Liposuction will address your unwanted fat deposits. 
Be wellDrBurnett#realself100

Tummy Tuck, Liposuction or CoolSculpting?

Liposuction and CoolSculpting will reduce fat but will leave you with more loose skin. A tummy tuck will give you the best result. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who you feel comfortable with, who will explain all the pros and cons of surgery. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Options

Judging from the photos, loose skin can only be corrected with a tummy tuck.  Liposuction and Coolsculpting reduce fat, but don't fix the loose skin. 

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon