Should they have dropped? (Photos)

I am 7 weeks post opp. I have 450 saline under the muscle. My left breast is still sitting high is this normal? I also have pain when i wake up they will be tight or seem to be sitting higher than normal in he morning. Is there anything that can be done to help them drop or for the pain in the morning?

2 months post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question .

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Wait 4 months for irregularities to resolve

It can take up to 4 months for the breasts to drop into a more natural position after breast augmentation. If you have tighter skin and less of your own natural breast tissue, then dropping does tend to take longer. You can definitely discuss this with your surgeon. They might recommend you wear a band around the top of your breasts to help make them drop faster.

It’s a little concerning that you mentioned you feel pain. You should discuss this issue with your surgeon as well.

High riding implant

Thanks for your inquiry and picture.  Ask your doctor about a massage protocol or wearing a bandeau. Good Luck.  

Breast augmentation descent of implants

I agree with the other plastic surgeons on this topic that massage is required. However if after several months the implants are still sitting high, you may have to have the muscle released as a surgical procedure. Hopefully the massage works.

High implants?

Thanks for your question. Your implants should drop further with time, but can be encourage to do so with massage of the upper breast, but especially by wearing a breast band around your upper chest which should put continual pressure on the upper poles of the implants to encourage them downwards. If smooth implants have been used then they are more like to descend then if textured implants were used. The morning pain should subside with time, but try sleeping with an extra pillow behind your back to keep you upright, and take pain killers as required.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Implant position

It can take 4- 6 months for implants to descend into the pocket.  Be patient. If concerned, review the care with your surgeon.

Breast implant position

Thank you for your question . You are stilll early in the recovery stage after breast augmentation . As the muscle and skin stretch the implants should descend into the pocket made at the time of surgery . Usually this takes months to arrive at your final position . Sometimes a breast strap to push down on the implants is helpful to nudge nature along. Speak with your plastic surgeon about your concerns . 

Joanne Lopes, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Should they have dropped?

Thank you for your question and photos.

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. 

You may want to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon since he/she knows exactly what procedure was performed, how you are progressing, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Ask about downward massage and/or use of bandeau to help with the settling of the breast implants.

Massage of breasts after breast surgery is not a universally accepted or agreed-upon  principle. Each plastic surgeon may have his/her opinion that is based on their specific/unique education, experience, and personal preferences. If you were my patient, I would recommend aggressive downward massage to help settle the breast implant into the pocket.

I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

In cases where significant breast implant malposition and/or asymmetry persists, the pros/cons associated with revisionary breast surgery should be carefully considered prior to making decisions whether or not to undergo further surgery. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast augmentation recovery

You've raised some very important concerns. Submuscular augmentation takes longer to recover from than a subglandular placement of the implant. That being said in the majority of cases submuscular augmentation leads to a more natural appearance of the breast. It takes 6 months for the implants to settle into place. I would stay in close contact with your plastic surgeon since maneuvers such as using compression bands and massage can be helpful depending on the technique that was used. 

Dr. Jan

Badar Jan, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Should they have dropped?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues.  Without before pictures it is difficult to offer definite advice, but if you had little glandular tissue and tight breast skin it would not be unusual to have your implants still sitting high on your chest as a result of swelling and muscle cramping.  Though you should voice your concerns to your surgeon, only time will tell how much your skin will stretch to leave you with a more natural result as the implant volume drops into the lower portion of each breast.  As far as your morning swelling, try sleeping with an extra pillow or two behind your back at night to help limit the swelling that is likely occuring when you sleep.  Hope this helps.