I am a self employed massage therapist. How long will it take for me to get back to work if I decide on a full body lift?

I bring my equipment with me to 98% of my locations and use my body mechanics quite a bit. I had gastric bypass in 2010 and lost over 150 lbs. the excess skin sags and hurts my joints. While using my forearms and elbows during massages my skin has now started to "roll" onto itself and tug. My skin gets caught in clothes all the time. The pain is unbearable. I doubt I could even afford it but I have to try something. The pain gets worse everyday.

Full body lift - recovery time

Thank you for your question about your body lift.

• The usual surgical recovery after a major body lift is 4 - 6 weeks.
  • Upper body lift recovery tends to be faster than the lower body lift.
  • I truly think you need a consultation with a plastic surgeon who does bariatric (post weight loss) surgery.
  • Most surgeons have financing options - and since the excess skin interferes with your work, the surgery costs should also be tax deductible - so don't despair!
  • Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Body Lift

Thank you for your question in regards to a body lift. Each patient varies with the healing process of a surgery. Usually downtime with a body lift will be 6-10 weeks depending on the patient. To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Recovery

Congratulations on your weight loss.
A body lift is major surgery.  Your recovery will depend somewhat on whether you have a muscle repair. The usual recovery time for an occupation such as yours would be 6 weeks.
If you were to have an arm lift then you would need time off until your wounds are completely healed - this would be around 3 weeks.
All the best

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Body lift

Hello and thank you for your question. It usually takes 2-3 weeks to return to work, however every patient is different. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD