Looking forward to getting a Rhinoplasty, need some help.

Hello readers When I was about 10 I had my nose broken, light bump that my mom noticed, and at 13 it broke against my knee, so it looked like a dent in my face and it going toward one side. I want the nose to go back to the way it used to be without any bumps and in the middle of my face. I asked this question before but because now I am 17 I am looking to get it soon so I can go into a "fresh start" into university. I don't really understand much about deviated septum. Thanks. Sorry for the pimples.

Thanks for submitting pictures. As always, the best answers come from a hands on exam. Having said that you should improve things by reducing the size of the hump, narrowing your nose, tip refinement and perhaps a small chin implant for more ideal profile. Get more than one opinion.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septorhinoplasty Candidate

Dear Vacate, I certainly understand you wanting to have your surgery done before heading off to college. This is very common in patients your age to have surgery during the summer after senior year.  You will be beginning a new life away from home and meeting a new peer group so it is an opportune moment to make these changes. In ethnic rhinoplasty and even more so in ethnic male rhinoplasty it is very important to have a natural looking nose that blends well with your facial aesthetics. Septorhinoplasty is a combination procedure to address both function and aesthetics. The "septo" portion addresses the deviated septum and breathing concerns while the "rhinoplasty" portion addresses the cosmetic changes. During consultation I would suggest using digital imaging to allow you to see how these proposed changes would look on you. Once the desired result is agreed upon then your surgeon can discuss exactly what needs to be done surgically to provide you with proper function and good aesthetics. See an expert in the field of rhinoplasty for consultation. You will need to have a consenting parent or guardian with you at this time. Best regards and congratulations on heading off to University! Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

My recommendation

A postraumatic rhinoplasty, saving the dorsum, reducing the tip size and projection, and in-fractures to narrow and realign the nose. If you don't breathe well through the nose then a septoplasty is advisable.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the crooked nose with hump etc.

Rhinoplasty for the crooked nose with hump etc. As well as straightening your set can be done to give a more attractive nose as well as breathing better. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural looking noses for this. A chin implant will give your face better balance. 

Straightening the nose and reducing the hump are reasonable requests.

Rhinoplasty for Crooked Nose

Your asymmetrical crooked nose can be straightened with rhinoplasty surgery.. The septum is the structure on the inside middle of your nose that between the two nostrils.This is contributing to your deviation. The hump can be removed at the same time. If possible consider a chin implant which will give the impression of making your nose look smaller.

Thank you for your photos and question and during a septorhinoplasty your deviated septum would be repaired and the cosmetic appearance of your nose improved.  So with parental consent go on some consults with experts in your area and see what can be done

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Rhinoplasty and septoplasty are 2 completely separate operations

The rhinoplasty procedure and the septoplasty procedure are 2 separate operations, but both can be performed at the same time. A rhinoplasty procedure is performed to remove a  dorsal hump, reduce the projection of the nose, straighten the nasal bones. A spreader graft may also be required to be placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage and the middle portion of the nose. A septoplasty is performed in the back of the nose to improve air flow. A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity  which must be documented  at the time of consultation and an internal examination of the nose. A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose, only improve air flow dynamics. For many examples and more information, please see the link and the video below

Without an internal exam, I cannot determine if you have a deviated septum.  Septoplasty is the procedure to correct deviated septum.  Cosmetic Rhinoplasty is performed to improve the appearance of your nose.  Based on your photos, you are an excellent candidate for Rhinoplasty surgery.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam,and to discuss the procedures that will benefit you.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD