Hello! I am wondering why I still look 3-4 months pregnant when my second child is almost a year old. (photos)

I am 5 ft 2 in tall, 115lbs and very active. I also eat very clean and am conscious of my intake of calories. However, I still look 3-4 months pregnant when my second child is almost one year old. My Two children are 18 months apart and I have a mild diastasis recti (approx 1 finger width above the umbilicus). I have rehabbed with a PT, done the tupler technique, and am Now in the middle of A workout regimen for the purpose of flattening and strengthening abd muscles. Any advice?

Abdominal bulge

You can probably continue use to get some improvement with exercise.  If that doesn't work, you may get to the point where you will consider a tummy tuck.  However, you should wait until you are done having children before undergoing a tummy tuck.

Hello! I am wondering why I still look 3-4 months pregnant when my second child is almost a year old.

Hi. Congratulations on your fitness regimen. Don't, however, be disappointed that you cannot reverse all the changes that come with childbearing through exercise alone.

You can strengthen your muscles with exercise, but you cannot correct the diastasis without surgery.

Skin cannot be toned or tightened with exercise, and there are some genetically-determined fat deposits that can only be reduced with surgery.

I recommend you see an experienced aesthetic plastic surgeon to explore your options.

All the best.

TT

Thank you for the pictures.

Based on the pictures, I would suggest having a tummy tuck and muscle repair would really benefit your case.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Muscle split can make tummy look still pregnant a year after birth

Based on your photo and history you most likely have a diastases recti  which is a split of the abdominal muscles after childbirth.  In my experience only repair of the abdominal muscles which is most commonly done during a tummy tuck can flatten the tummy.

Hello! I am wondering why I still look 3-4 months pregnant when my second child is almost a year old

It looks like diastasis of the rectus muscles is the culprit but it would take an exam to really give you an answer. Get a consult from a board certified plastic surgeon and get your answer.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

The abdominal wall may need additional tightening to regain former contours.  As a bodybuilder, I understand the amazing things that can be accomplished with diet and exercise.  However, there is a role for surgery in certain situations.

Abdominal wall laxity after children

Dear AZmumof2,

Muscles are designed to stretch and contract and can do so with pregnancy. Our abdominal muscles are however wrapped up in connective tissue and its this tissue that get stretched out during pregnancy...like an old rubber band.   Tightening this connective tissue will bring your abdominal wall back to its more normal shape.  This can be accomplished with a full tummy tuck if loose skin is also present or an endoscopic tummy tuck if only loose abdominal wall is present.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Changes after pregnancy

Most women experience abdominal wall stretching during pregnancy that causes a permanent bulge appearance in the lower and sometimes upper abdomen. Diastasis is the separation of the rectus (six pack) muscles and no amount of sit-ups will help tighten and bring these back together. A tummy tuck would be necessary to bring the muscles back together and give you a flat abdomen.

Why do I look 3-4 months pregnant still when my second child is a year old?

Thanks so much for your question.  From your pictures it looks that you are in very good shape but the two pregnancies caused permanent changes in your abdominal wall musculature.  You will be able to continue to strengthen the muscles but you can't physically get them closer together (like they were prior to your having kids) without surgery.  You are a candidate for an abdominoplasty and that is likely the only way to truly flatten your abdomen to a pre-pregnancy level.  

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon