Wondering if I Should Get a Breast Reduction. I'm Pregnant but Plan to Workout After? (photo)

I am 19 years old and currently 8 months pregnant, I know pregnancy changes your body alot but it hasnt been very much for me. A year before pregnancy I was 5'6 1/2 tall, 34 E breast, and weighed 143 pounds. Even then I was in pain and very uncomfortable with my breasts. I am now 5'6 1/2 tall (of coarse), 36G breast, and weigh 162 pounds. My breasts have gained more weight which increased pain in back and even more sagging of the breast, nipples seem lower now. I was thinking maybe a D cup?

Wait 6-12 Months Following Pregnancy & 3-6 Months Following Lactation Before Thinking About Breast Reduction Surgery

Significant changes occur in the breasts during and after pregnancy. For these reasons it’s not possible to make decisions about breast surgery for at least six to twelve months following pregnancy and three to six months following lactation. At this point, decisions regarding shape can be made more accurately.

Will I Benefit From Breast Reduction?

Thank you for the questions. Many women that experience complications related to excessive breast size, struggle with the same questions. As you have noticed, pregnancy can change the size and shape of breast tissue. 

Excessive breast tissue can cause several health problems. The excess weight caused by your breasts can mean that too much pressure is put on your neck, back, and shoulders. This can cause pain, which can worsen over time. It can also cause you to develop bad posture, which can lead to further complications later in life. 

Unfortunately, even with exercise, it doesn't appear that you will be able to achieve a significant change. A breast reduction, the only permanent way to reduce the size of your chest, is great for removing excess fat, tissue and skin. Many women that elect to have #mammoplasty, also will require a lift. The lift is part of the procedure at no extra cost. A #lift is necessary to ensure proper placement of the #nipples and can allow for areola reduction if needed.

One thing to keep in mind is your ability to breastfeed any new babies in the future. A large number of women who undergo breast reduction surgery are still able to breastfeed later on. However, your #milk production may be limited due to the removal of some breast tissue. This means that you may have to supplement your breast milk with other forms of feeding such as formula.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. If you are far too uncomfortable now, you may want to consider surgery sooner than later. The best advise I can give you is to schedule a consultation with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who will be qualified to evaluate your current breast shape and volume. They will also be able to explain all of your options. Good luck!

Breast Reduction After Pregnancy

Your breasts change a lot during prenancy. It is best to wait about 6 months after delivering and breast feeding before you make a decision on whether or not you need a reduction.

Breast red post partum

I would wait before I would commit to anything especially in light of your pregnancy.Wait till after you nurse if you choose to do so.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction after pregnancy

At this point there is no reason to be evaluated for your potential breast reduction.  You should have the baby, and wait 6 months to 1 year after pregnancy to be evaluated.  

Hello

To be able to determine whether you even need a reduction is to wait till your done breast feeding at least 3 months after you’re done. Working out could decrease your breast size, but you won’t be able to see that till after the pregnancy and once your done breast feeding.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS (in memoriam)

Wondering if I Should Get a Breast Reduction. I'm Pregnant but Plan to Workout After?

Thanks for the question and posted photo. Best to wait til you are finished breast feeding or haste recovered from the pregnancy, like 3 to 6 months. Than seek in person evaluations from boarded PSs in your city. Best to you on the pregnancy 

Breast reduction after pregnancy

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

When you have finished with children and breast feeding and have achieved a stable post-partum weight see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an opinion.  What you should be seeking is a balanced figure with good skin/volume proportions.  This may involve a lift, a reduction, or an augmentation with or without a lift, all depending on what you have left at the end of breast feeding and weight loss.

After delivery, get back down to your ideal weight before making a decision

You may very well decide to undergo a breast reduction procedure after your pregnancy, however you will need to make some decisions.  If you are planning on breast feeding your will obviously have to wait for that process to complete before your procedure.  I would also encourage you to get down to your ideal weight before doing so.  Your breast reduction results will be better but also if you do lose weight down the road your breast size and shape may become less than ideal for you at that time.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Reduction

You are an excellent candidate for a breast reduction per your picture. I would recommend waiting at least 6 months after you stop breast feeding and return to your pre pregnancy weight, good luck with yur pregnancy 

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon