Steri strips post mastoplexy - not applied at week one for 9 days - nurse error - feeling concerned - should I be?

First up - I'm happy and so far and so grateful to be healing well. BUT upset to find out Nurse forgot to apply steri strips at week one post op for mastoplexy. Discover this 9 days later at week two post op nurse visit. I'm really worried this error will hinder healing. Will this error have cost me any advantages to my healing or the end result??

Steri Strips Not Applied at one Week Post-Op

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

While strip application may be specific to your procedure and your case it would be best to take your questions directly to your surgeon to help make sure that the healing process is starting off well.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... My dear, every surgeon has it's  own manners and ways to close incisions, besides that using stere-strips is not a good option to promote healing, you should get an appointment with your surgeon. 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

No steri strips

Hello, it seems unlikely that not having steristrips on your incision for 9 days will affect your final outcome.  Some surgeons do not use steristrips at all.  Scars that 12-18 months to fully mature so it will take some time to see the final result.

Steri strips post mastoplexy

Thank you for the question. There is no "normal" or   universally accepted "standard". In other words, practices will vary.  Best to ask your plastic surgeon about his/her rationale...  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Worried by nursing error on steristrips

Thank you for asking about your mastopexy recovery.

It is always upsetting to find something was done wrong but the error although regrettable is unlikely to affect your healing. Steristrips offer support and protection to the incision but I am old enough to remember the days before we had them - most women still healed fine. They are most useful for those women who tend to heal with thick scars and to support the incision during the initial weeks of healing which are now behind you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Likely won't matter

some surgeons use steri-strips/taping for a long/extended period of time, while other surgeons use skin glue, some surgeons don't use anything at all except for some antibiotic ointment over the wounds. Just follow the instructions the nurse gave you moving forward, everything should be fine. 

Steri strips post mastopexy

While some surgeons use steri strips to help bolster the incision line many surgeons who perform mastopexies do no use steri strips at all. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon but if you are not having any wound healing issues at two weeks post op, then the lack of steri strips is unlikely to have caused any issues and you should be OK. Like I said, many surgeons don't even use steri strips at all.

Regards,

Surjit S. Rai, MD 

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Breast lift

I appreciate your question.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon