Too much bruising and swelling? (photo)

I had labiaplasty yesterday and I am very worried about the amount of bruising and swelling. I keep reading about potential haematomas and now I am worried. Is this normal or should I contact my surgeon?

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Healing

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  A hematoma can also occur postoperativley.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.    

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Post-Op Labiaplasty Healing with Intense Swelling

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months and firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

Do NOT Evacuate

Dear Jessica:
Thank you for sharing as your questions and photos as they will be helpful to other readers.  It appear you do have a hematoma and this is unfortunate.  However your surgeon will determine what is best for you and I  personally would NOT recommend hematoma evacuation in your situation.   As long as the hematoma is contained (not spreading) and you are not bleeding out (i.e. copiously bleeding out of the incision site) there is nothing to gain by opening the incision and attempting to close it again. 
If you have a hematoma anywhere else in the body after a surgery you would not evacuate it unless it was causing a problem ( i.e. severe pain, changes of neurologic function, losing to much blood.....) most surgeon know if the hematoma is small and contained your body will absorbs that blood over time.   Sure you might be tender longer but it will all eventually be absorbed.  '
Now what is the downside of opening the incision and attempting to evacuate the hematoma........well  if one opens up the incision lines of the labia surgery and this will need to be closed again. It is my experience ( from doing over 1500 labiaplasties over 20 years & being a center who specializes in botched labiaplasties) that incision lines reopened and re repaired do not heal well and this decreases the chance of a better cosmetic appearance.,  Yes  it is true the hematoma may also cause damage to the suture line and it may not heal perfectly but my experience is you have a better chance of just letting it heal on its own for now. 
Based on the size of your hematoma ( not excessively large) I would sit and wait.  Now things might change but allow your surgeon to make that decision.  To rush to surgery is a mistake.
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist &  Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

This could be a hematoma or an ischemic problem; it's hard to say from the photo. Definitely see your doctor.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

I think your assessment is 100% accurate. I am also worried about hematoma. Yes you should contact your surgeon. I have not experienced this problem with my technique, the extended wedge, because I leave all major blood vessels undisturbed.

Type text or a website address or translate a document.CancelTranslate from: SpanishHi Jessica, You should contact your surgeon for you evaluated but it is normal that sometimes inflammation occurs that eventually disappears hope you have a speedy recovery.
Good luck

Miriam Luciano  Dominican Republic OB / GYN

Miriam Luciano, MD
Dominican Republic OB/GYN

Hematoma Concern

You do seem to have more swelling than average and I am concerned you may have developed a hematoma. I recommend that you contact your surgeon so they can check on your incisions. The good news is that hematomas rarely affect your final aesthetic results.

Too much bruising and swelling?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. Based solely on the one picture supplied you do have a significant amount of soft tissue swelling present and likely a hematoma along your right labia minora.  I would contact your surgeons office to have an in-person examination performed and determine the need for a hematoma evacuation procedure.  Best wishes.