Surgeon says he wants to perform a "closed open rhinoplasty" on me and I've never heard of this. Is this normal?

Surgeon says he wants to perform a "closed open rhinoplasty" on me and I've never heard of this. Thought there was just closed and open procedures. Is this normal?

Marketing technique only

I agree with Dr Farrier that this is really just re-wording on old type of closed rhinoplasty that is the old delivery method where the tip cartilages could be delivered out on view to give more exposure than a traditional closed method but it is just as destructive to support ligaments and the method has waned in popularity over the last 10 years due to its problems 

You are right there is really only closed and open rhinoplasty

Open rhinoplasty, closed rhinoplasty , closed-open rhinoplasty

Closed open rhinoplasty is cleaver nomenclature used to deceive the patient consumer by surgeons that are desperate to market not to do a good job. What is described by the "closed open" rhinoplasty is the delivery technique to manage the tip cartilage. This is a technique that was described well over 3/4 of a century ago and has been used successfully for decades. That being said it is more disruptive of the support mechanisms than any other rhinoplasty technique. Bottom line is that it is a word game to capture the curiosity of potential patients and get them to come in for a consult.

Edward Farrior, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is nothing surgically that is called a closed open rhinoplasty. You are correct rhinoplasty is either done via an open or closed technique.

Rhinoplasty approaches

There truly is no such thing as a closed open rhinoplasty.  Both refer to the way the surgeon accesses the nasal structure, and does not imply anything as to what they will do once they get access.  An open rhinoplasty means an incision across the skin between the nostrils (columella) that is linked to incisions inside the nose, effectively lifting the skin/soft tissue envelope off the cartilage that makes up your nasal tip.  A closed, or endonasal rhinoplasty, utilizes incisions entirely within the inside of the nose.

It may have just been a misunderstanding, but make sure you clarify that with your surgeon before proceeding.  If your surgeon sticks by the terminology, I would strongly recommend you find another physician.  It's a basic binary point that is something taught to residents from day one of their training, so any confusion here would question expertise.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello! Rhinoplasty can be performed through an external incision, or open or through intranasal incisions, or closed. There is no "closed open", perhaps it was a typo. Best to check with your surgeon as to exactly what is being done. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

closed versus open rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty is performed through either closed  approach or open approach. The open versus closed debate is only about how the surgeon gets in the nose, not what is actually technically performed on the inside of nose. Osteotomies, dorsal hump removal, advanced cartilage grafting techniques and nasal Tip surgery can all be performed with either closed or open  approaches. For more information and many examples of closed rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below