Nose still looks prosthetic, crooked, and irregular after a closed septorhino 21 months later. When will it settle to normal?

Nose still looks prosthetic, crooked, and irregular after a closed septorhino 21 months later. When will it settle to normal? My doctor said 2 years, but said he wasn't sure.

Crooked nose after rhinoplasty

Generally speaking, swelling after rhinoplasty surgery resolves by 1 year after surgery. If you had a revision procedure this process can take longer. However, at 21 months, it is unlikely that your nose will change drastically. If your concerns persist, I recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon who can assess your concerns and provide you with some guidance regarding what further changes are obtainable with observation versus a revision procedure.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose

Most rhinoplasty surgeons anticipate final rhinoplasty results one year post op.  So if you are not happy at this point and see the irregularities you mention, then its time to take your concerns back to your surgeon.  If I am revising my own work, I don't charge a second surgeon fee but there would still be an anesthesia/OR fee.  If you are still uncomforable returnning to your original surgeon or don't get the answers that you seek, then its time for a second opinion.

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello, Thank you for your question. Final results are typically seen after 1 year. I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns. All the best. 

Final result of rhinoplasty

Typically in 1 year you can see a final result of the rhinoplasty.  At this point if the nose appears crooked then you need a revision.RegardsDr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and 20 Months is certainly enough time to see your final result and if you are dissatisfied go on some other consults for a second opinion.Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Hmm. Twenty-one months is almost always enough time to see the final result.

If you are not happy with the results of your rhinoplasty, it is completely reasonable to research having a revision at this time. See the "Web reference" link, just below my response, for some advice on finding a surgeon to perform the revision.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

someperson, as one cheese head to another you unfortunately have what you are going to have after 21 months. Should you seek improvement make sure you are seeing a facial specialist (one who only does facial work) and has decades of experience with excellent photos. Revision rhinoplasty especially requires an experienced specialist. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

There is not one answer to your question as everyone heals from rhinoplasty at different rates.  The rate at which one heals after rhinoplasty depends on your anatomy, the procedure and the techniques performed, and the thickness of your skin.  This being said, after 21 months if you are dissatisfied with the appearance of your nose, you can seek to have it revised.  Consult with an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon to have your nose examined and assessed for a revision surgery.  

Crooked nose after rhinoplasty

Generally  80% of my patients like their nos as soon as the cast is removed (one week) and 95% by the end of the third week. If you have an obviously deviated and irregular nose at 21 months, chances are things aren't going to change in 3 more. Though I used to perform  rhinoplasties through a closed technique, I've long since abandoned that because visualization and  exposure is limited even in the best of hands. In today's day and age, more expert rhinoplasty surgeons are converting to the open technique, making sure that every surgical maneuver is precise and as symmetrical as possible, leaving little to chance.Good luck.

Randal Haworth, MD, FACS

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  I advise my patients that, typically, all swelling after rhinoplasty should be resolved after one year.  After twenty-one months, I would say that your post surgical swelling has fully resolved and won't change much.  Be sure to discuss any concerns you have about this with your surgeon.  I hope that this helps!-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon