I am 6 weeks post op today from Tummy Tuck and Lipo and I have yet to see improvement with the swelling!

I sent post op pics to my surgeons assistant whom of course is a doctor and she told me the size of my stomach is not normal and I should consult with my doctor to check for fluids! Is this normal? I am not in any pain at all.

It is not uncommon to have swelling 6 weeks after a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction. In order to accurately address your concern a physical examination and pictures are necessary. Sometimes fluid can collect in the tissue which can cause excessive swelling. This is called a seroma and would need to be drained by your surgeon. You may also need to wear a compression garment to help reduce swelling. I would suggest making an appointment with your plastic surgeon to have an examination and discuss your concerns.

6 weeks post op Tummy Tuck

I personally do not like to have my patients send photographs if they have a concern.  I know they can be a good tool to have quickly, but with all of the variance in lighting, camera quality and distortion or angle, it would be easy to misdiagnose something.  If a patient has a concern, I prefer to have them come into the office to see me, so I can put their minds and mine at ease. That being said, your surgeon's assistant has your best interests at heart by wanting you to follow up with the primary surgeon.  Please give the office a call ASAP to schedule a follow up appointment. 
Best of luck in your recovery!

Fred Hackney, MD

If things don't look right and the surgeon's assistant advised you to be seen in person to be checked out, then that sounds like the right thing to do. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  Without photos and a physical exam, it is difficult to address your question with clarity. It is not at all uncommon to have considerable swelling six weeks following liposuction and a tummy tuck. If swelling becomes excessive, it can be due a seroma, or collection of fluid which may need to be drained by your plastic surgeon.  You should absolutely consult with your plastic surgeon to make sure your healing process in on track.  Best of luck to you.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon