How do I care for my incisions after my mini lift?

How to Care for Your Incisions after a Facelift

Throughout the #facelift #healing process you should be seen frequently by your doctor and one of their registered nurses to ensure you are following instructions properly and your recovery is going well. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. Ice can certainly help reduce the swelling.

#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen.
If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Mini Lift Incision Care

Thank you for your question.  Typically I will advise my patient to leave their incisions for about 4 weeks, until all has healed.  After patients can massage incisions in a circular motion with bio-oil or cream.  I encourage my patients shower and wash their hair the day after surgery, and repeat this for the next 7 days, this helps to reduce infection, keeping the incisions clean.  This protocol may chance from patient to patient therefore suggesting how important it is too see your surgeon for regular follow ups, so they can access and advise.

All The Best 

Incision care after minilifts

The key is moisturization.  Most docs will use a petroleum product first, like antibiotic ointment or aquaphor. That is normally about a week.  After that, ointments can be either slick looking or messy.  So either go with a very light layer that needs frequent application of the same ointment, or switch to an alternative. I have my patients use a cream during the day and ointment at night. Scar fade creams have little or no value, they just make patients more likely to use them so scars do indeed look better.  But its the moisturizing effect, not something specific within them. So don't buy anything expensive for later use.

Discuss this with your surgeon as he/she will have a clear preference for when and where you use the products

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini-Facelift-Postop Care

Best to consult with your surgeon, but I usually recommend antibiotic ointment to the incision sites until sutures are removed and I allow my patients to bathe and wash their hair the day after surgery. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Incision care after minilift

Thank you for your question. Lift incisions will vary considerably from person to person and doctor to doctor. In addition there is no standard minilift so it would be difficult for your questions to be answered with great accuracy. You should contact your surgeons office for his or her specific instructions If they are unavailable for you most of us allow a shower  and light shampoo within 24 hours with or without ointment to the suture line until first return visit. Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Incision care

Thanks for your question. Your surgeon will undoubtedly provide you with his/her detailed post-operative instructions. I find these incisions are very easy to care for. Patients are generally allowed to shower and shampoo in 24 hours, and then apply a light ointment such as bacitracin or something like Aquaphore (depends if a chemical peel was also performed). I prefer a very gentle cleanser for the first 5-7 days such as baby shampoo on the face and incisions. Sutures are typically removed after 7 days. I hope that helps a little.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon