Is its possible to undergo vaginoplasty with conscious sedation?

Anesthesia Choices for Vaginoplasty

The short answer is yes. There are many options besides a general anesthetic for a vaginoplasty procedure including IV sedation and local, spinal/epidural anesthesia, oral sedation and local anesthesia, etc. Discuss your options with your surgeon.
#vaginoplasty
#vaginalrejuvenation

The choice of anesthesia is yours

Vaginoplasty can be performed under general anesthesia, regional anesthesia (spinal block, epidural block, saddle block), intravenous sedation, or local anesthesia. You can certainly have it done under sedation. It wears off quickly and you will sleep comfortably through the entire procedure. My anesthesiologists have extensive experience with these types of procedures and it is a safe and effective option.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN

Awake Vaginoplasty

It is certainly very possible to do vaginoplasty under conscious sedation.  In fact, we do just about all our vaginoplasty/perineoplasty/labiaplasty surgeries without conscious sedation and without IVs placed!  For the past decade or so we have done these surgeries in our office extremely safely and comfortably with you listening to music, taking a nap, or watching TV.  Many patients spend the time texting and emailing friends and I have even had patients take photos of their surgeries and update their families in real time.  Your doctor has to know how to do the local blocks and how to give you the right mix of pills and creams to avoid having to have an IV or tube or needle placed.  With special creams and a device that pushes the local anesthetic deep under the skin and with strategic blocks deep in the pelvis you can safely have these surgeries.  There is no safer way to have surgery than to be awake, speaking with  your surgeon, giving live feedback, without worries of aspiration, fevers, and not waking up. My teaching program has taught surgeons all over the world on how to do these procedures in the office.  

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Red Alinsod, MD

Red Alinsod, MD
Laguna Beach OB-GYN

Vaginoplasty under LOCAL anesthesia!

Hello Jacquelynn,

It certainly is! In fact, since 2014 I have performed virtually all of my perineoplasty/vaginoplasty full pelvic floor tightening operations in the office under local anesthesia with very light sedation ( less invasive even than "conscious sedation.") I have performed vaginoplasty specific for vaginal tightening since 2000, and have done ~ 100 cases. With the advent of new retraction systems, a very experienced vaginal pelvic floor surgeon can do a very complete vaginoplasty under local tumescent anesthesia. So far as I know, only Dr. Red Alinsod MD in Laguna Beach and I are the only experienced pelvic floor surgeons performing vaginoplasty in-office under local, but there certainly may be others, who will answer you on this site.

Performing vaginoplasty under local leads to far less bleeding, less post-op pain, quicker recovery, and eliminated the risk and hassle of general anesthesia (being "put to sleep.") Much less expensive as well!

Please click on the link below for more...  Very best wishes!

Michael P Goodman MD

Vaginal Rejuvenation under conscious sedation

Dear Jacquelynn46225,

The extent of anatomic damage and repair needed and the surgeon's skill will determine just what you will need and whether or not it can be done with conscious sedation vs. general anesthesia.  A more extensive surgery may require deeper anesthesia.  The newest radiofrequency treatment ThermiVa is done in-office without any cutting, anesthesia or downtime and is an option for mild anatomic changes.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerrely,

Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Vaginoplasty without going under

Hello. Thank you for your question. I'm happy to advise you, YES. I perform all of my vaginoplasty procedures with my patients awake. I use a local anesthetic and a couple of oral medications for comfort and anxiety. Best wishes 
~Dr. Poucher 

Anesthesia

A vaginoplasty typically is done under more than conscious sedation, primarily because it includes revision deeper to the opening of the vagina. Keep in mind, sedation is on a spectrum ranging from awake to general anesthesia. Depending on the complexity of your surgery and your baseline health, your anesthesiologist can determine the safest manner to keep you comfortable for the length and type of case. Warm Regards, Jennifer Murphy, MD

L. Jennifer Murphy, MD
Valparaiso OB/GYN