I'm having an open rhinoplasty and submental liposuction on Nov. 6th. Is it realistic to think I can be back to work by Nov 26?

My question has to do with recovery time. I am having an open rhinoplasty and submental liposuction on Nov. 6th. I am a photographer by trade, is it realistic to think I can be back to work by November 26?

Back to Work after Open Rhinoplasty

I generally tell my patients a week to 10 days is plenty of time for recovery. There can be some slight bruising still resolving. I give my patients an herbal supplement to decrease the bruising and swelling as fast as possible. Talk to your surgeon about other methods that will reduce swelling and bruising for you.

Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Down time

Simply yes for most environments. Not for competitive volley ball. but certainly for almost any social or work environment. The longerst lasting bruises are around 3 weeks.
I f you have no misgivings and are open and excited about these changes, many return after a single week with some swelling and bruises still present.  Many of your co workers still may not pick up on it. It's always best to "own " your change  and never lie or apologize about these desired enhancements. However I advise my patients to simply keep it private.

J. Smythe Rich, MD
Columbia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and return to work

At 20 days after surgery, you will have had the splint removed and if performed open, the stitches will be removed as well. You will definitely be swollen but the bruising will likely be gone by then.  Always best to ask your surgeon.

Yes. I think this is reasonable. For patients who have to return to working in front of their own clients, I will typically recommend at least 7 days of recovery time following surgery. Sometimes bruising can last up to 10 days. However, by the three weeks all of your bruising, much of your swelling and the slight pink hue of your incisions should be well on their way toward being healed. If at all noticeable, a small amount of camouflage makeup should be very helpful. Good luck!

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and submental liposuction

Three weeks  should be plenty of to recuperate from a rhinoplasty and a sub mental liposuction. In our practice most patients are able to return to work at 2 weeks after surgery

Rhinoplasty and liposuction recovery is typically very quick

Yes, you should be looking and feeling fine by the 26th. My rhinoplasty patients typically look great the day we take the splint off, one week after surgery. If someone is just getting some liposuction under the chin, most patients can go to non-strenuous work the next day. Even if you bruise more than expected, that should resolve within 1-2 weeks, and you would still be looking great by the 26th.

Good Luck,

Andrew

Facial Plastic Surgeon

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should be plenty of time.

That should be plenty of time to recover. You may have to wear a cover make-up if there is any residual bruising. Most of my patients are comfortably back to socialization at about two weeks.

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time - Rhinoplasty and Submental Liposuction

Recovery time following surgery and rhinoplasty in particular depends on a number of factors including the patient's age, general health, and the procedure being performed. It appears that you have given yourself realistic time to heal from your procedure and return to your profession as a photographer. You will have some persistent swelling of your nasal tip but it will likely not be perceptible to anyone but yourself.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you should be able to return to work on Nov. 26.  You have allowed plenty of time for recovery.  Follow your Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions, and you should do fine.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Recovery after rhinoplasty and submental liposuction

You have given yourself just about 3 weeks of recovery time after a rhinoplasty and submental liposuction and I believe this should be adequate.  You should be able to return to work after that time period.  You will most likely still have some swelling on the tip of your nose, but it should not look obvious.  Any bruising you have after the surgery should be gone by this time as well.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon