Is my surgeon right?

I'm due to have my BA in November in Preston through mya. I am currently 5"1, 8 stone wearing a 32a bra I told my surgeon I would like to become a D no smaller. He said I have little breast tissue so having 300cc high profile mentor under the muscle would achieve this goal for me? Would this be correct as I'm seeing pictures of girls that are 5"2/3 having 300cc overs and the outcome is a C ... I'm so confused as they say you lose Cc's due to having them under the muscle

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question.  There is no accurate/reliable/predictable correlation between size/profile breast implant utilized and cup size achieved. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

In my opinion, it is not possible to accurately determine how many CCs the you would “lose” when undergoing sub muscular breast augmentation surgery. I would suggest that you do not make your decisions based on statement such as: “you will lose 25 or 50 cc of volume when breast implants are placed under the muscle”. These statements are simply not reliable enough to utilize clinically.

***Given that your surgery is coming up soon (and your ongoing concerns), I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Mentor implants

Hi Kate,If you have concerns about size then speak with your PS.  He should be able to help you pick an appropriate implant by using a sizing kit or 3D camera technology.At 5"1' and only 8 stone I think your PS is correct in placing them under the muscle as this will give you a better look and there is evidence to suggest it will help protect the implant from capsular contraction too.  A 300cc high profile implant over the muscle will give a VERY augmented look in someone who has very little soft-tissue coverage, with the edges of the implant being very noticeable. Whether the implant is placed over or under the muscle, the volume of the implant remains unchanged.  The projection can be affected due to the 'softening' effect of the muscle if placed under the pec muscle.

Frank Conroy, MBChB, MRCS, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon