Lose weight before neck liposuction?

Should I try to lose weight before i have smart lipo to get rid of my double chin? Im about 15 pounds away from my ideal goal weight. I have always had a double chin though no matter what weight I'm at.

Get lipo of the neck regardless of weight.

Liposuction improves necks/jawlines so much and it usually doesn't matter what weight you are at. They pretty much all do very well.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lose weight before neck liposuction?

Hi. The simple answer is no. You've stated that no matter what weight you are at, you still have a double chin. So, just go ahead and get rid of it with lipo. Some of my most appreciative patinets are those who undergo a chin/neck lipo.Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction . Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits? 

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck, Dr. PG

Liposuction for double chin

If you've had a double chin even without the extra 15 lbs that you have to lose, liposuction will be useful to improve the contour of your neck and the appearance of your face. An alternative to liposuction is the recently FDA-approved injection called Kybella. The injection permanently destroys fat cells. With serial injections at 4-week intervals, the double chin gradually resolves. If you have loose skin, it is likely to persist after either treatment and you may need a skin tightening treatment like the Apollo tripollar radiofrequency treatment or a neck lift. 

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Lose weight before neck liposuction?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction. Do I need to lose weight first?

This is an excellent question.
if you have liposuction in an area that never goes down, the remaining 15 pounds is probably not a problem. 

But it be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon because at times a neck lift may be needed as well. 

Best wishes 

Lose weight before neck liposuction?

Without photos and the benefit of physical exam - it's difficult to comment accurately. Generally speaking liposuction - if a patient is a candidate- can remove excess fat and contour that area. If you are over 45yo- chances are - on physical exam you may be determined to be a candidate for a neck lift. Neck lift - from middle age onward- is usually - but not always - the best tool to restore the youthful look and contour of the neck.

Lose weight before neck liposuction?

Thank you for your question.  Without a series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite recommendations, but it is normally best to be at your goal weight prior to any aesthetic procedure, including neck liposuction.  That said if 15 pounds is within 10% of your body weight it is unlikely to materially change your neck appearance to the degree that it would impact your surgical results.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon, they are in the best position to help you.