Has anyone been diagnosed with Epiploic appendagitis after having abdominal TruSculpt?

3 weeks ago I had TruSculpt on my abdomen. Yesterday I was diagnosed through a CT scan in the Emergency department with Epiploic appendagitis. The doctor asked if I had recently lost weight fast (I have only lost 3 lbs since treatment) and it occurred to me later that TruSculpt is designed to lose fat so it may be related. Has anyone heard of this uncommon very painful condition happening after abdominal TruSculpt?

Epiploic appendagitis and trusculpt

It is unlikely that Epiploic appendagitis is linked to your Trusculpt procedure. I have not hear of anyone experiencing this before. Truscupt cannot yield 3 lb weight loss since it only melts fat cells and tightens skin. It only penetrates up to 15 mm deep therefore it could not affect inflammation in the abdomen or Epiploic appendagitis. Good luck! 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Epiploic appendagitis

The cause of epiploic appendagitis is usually due to twisting of appendages epiploicae resulting in focal fat infarction. This is remote from the radiofrequency energy delivered to the fat cells in the abdominal wall during truSculpt.

James Silberzweig, MD
New York Radiologist

After Effects of TruSculpting: Unlikely Abdominal Pain

This is an interesting question . It would be highly unlikely that a truSculpting treatment would have any correlation with your symptoms or presented findings. Epiploic appendagitis is a rare self limiting inflammatory/ischaemic process involving an appendix epiploica of the colon, and may either be primary or secondary to adjacent pathology.  This occurrence develops over time and is deep-seated in the abdomen and around the intestines.  TruSculpting energies are delivered at no more than ~ 12-14 mm ( ~ 1/2) which also make us believe this would be an unlikely cause.

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician