Tummy tuck with or without lipo?

I have been to several doctors concerning a tummy tuck. 3 of the 4 say I need lipo of the hips/flank area. One explained to me that it is not good to have lipo with the tummy tuck because it will decrease blood supply and I will have complications. Is this true?

Tummy tuck with liposuction

Tummy tuck can be done with liposuction of the hips/flanks. Personally, I do not usually liposuction the abdomen as it may risk complications.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

TT with or without LIPO

Thank you for your question. It is safe to do lipo to hip and flanks along with TT. Even recent literature says lipo to upper abdomen can be done at the time of TT.  

Tummy tuck and lipo

I will often lipo the waist /hips but will not lipo the central abdominal flap in most cases when performing a tummy tuck.

Liposuction routinely combined with a tummy tuck

Liposuction is routinely combined with a tummy tuck.  It must be performed carefully to not compromise the blood supply to the abdominal flap.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Possible tummy tuck candidate, photos

Thanks for the question. 

I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advice you need and want.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Lipo with tummy tuck

I routinely liposuction the flanks/sides with a tummy tuck. As long as you don't liposuction the central upper abdomen, it shouldn't effect the blood supply. If three out of four recommend liposuction, that's probably what you need. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Tummy Tuck with or without Lipo

Additional procedures that may enhance the result are Liposuction, Breast Procedures, or Thigh Lift. Mommy makeovers usually include multiple operations.  Brazilian “butt enhancement” can be done at the same time to provide best body contours. Arm reduction or brachiaplasty is also common.

It is always an option to have liposuction with your tummy tuck, and that can be discussed in consultation with local board certified plastic surgeons to help determine the best procedure to achieve your desired final results.

Combined procedures in plastic surgery

Hello, thanks for sharing your concern with us, i always say that security and safety in plastic surgery is the most important thing to bring our patients, it mean that, if you have all your laboratory exams and medical evaluation in good condition, you can get the liposuction with tummy tuck. its always important check hemoglobin level for example. have a nice day!

Jean Paul Giudicelli Saba, MD

Both right

Many if not most patients benefit from lipo of the flanks at the time of a tummy tuck. Lipo of the abdomen used to be thought of as risky for exactly the reason you mentioned - blood supply. There was a famous paper that showed increased complications when the two procedures were combined so many docs staged the tummy tuck and lip of abdomen doing one and then the second months later. In the last couple years that long held belief has been largely abandoned as docs have combined the procedures with few complications. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  If you are an appropriate candidate for a tummy tuck, this can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Carefully performed liposuction will enhance the result without limiting the blood supply at all.  I perform liposuction in every tummy tuck patient in my practice.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD