Tummy tuck with or without lipo?

I have been to several doctors concerning a tummy tuck. 3 of the 4 say I need lipo of the hips/flank area. One explained to me that it is not good to have lipo with the tummy tuck because it will decrease blood supply and I will have complications. Is this true?

Lipo with tummy tuck

I routinely liposuction the flanks/sides with a tummy tuck. As long as you don't liposuction the central upper abdomen, it shouldn't effect the blood supply. If three out of four recommend liposuction, that's probably what you need. 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Austin Physician

Tummy tuck with or without lipo?

According to the patient's needs, liposuction is generally included in all of my tummy tucks. This includes the upper abdomen as well. However, it must be done with skill and experience because it can compromise the blood supply if the liposuction done too aggressively.

I do suggest the "no-drain tummy tuck" for less discomfort, faster recovery and lower complication rate. This requires special suturing technique, which your PS should be familiar with.

Very interesting question. Thank you, and best of luck with your surgery.  

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with lipo

I routinely perform liposuction with tummy tucks and my patients do not suffer from complications as a result. Targeting the hips/flank area can create a much more pleasing contour. However, if improperly performed or when it’s overdone, it can increases the rate of complications.  

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Tummy tuck with liposuction

Tummy tuck can be done with liposuction of the hips/flanks. Personally, I do not usually liposuction the abdomen as it may risk complications.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Harry T. Haramis, MD, FACS
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

TT with or without LIPO

Thank you for your question. It is safe to do lipo to hip and flanks along with TT. Even recent literature says lipo to upper abdomen can be done at the time of TT.  

Ven Erella, MD

Tummy tuck and lipo

I will often lipo the waist /hips but will not lipo the central abdominal flap in most cases when performing a tummy tuck.

Liposuction routinely combined with a tummy tuck

Liposuction is routinely combined with a tummy tuck.  It must be performed carefully to not compromise the blood supply to the abdominal flap.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Possible tummy tuck candidate, photos

Thanks for the question. 

I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advice you need and want.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy Tuck with or without Lipo

Additional procedures that may enhance the result are Liposuction, Breast Procedures, or Thigh Lift. Mommy makeovers usually include multiple operations.  Brazilian “butt enhancement” can be done at the same time to provide best body contours. Arm reduction or brachiaplasty is also common.

It is always an option to have liposuction with your tummy tuck, and that can be discussed in consultation with local board certified plastic surgeons to help determine the best procedure to achieve your desired final results.

Combined procedures in plastic surgery

Hello, thanks for sharing your concern with us, i always say that security and safety in plastic surgery is the most important thing to bring our patients, it mean that, if you have all your laboratory exams and medical evaluation in good condition, you can get the liposuction with tummy tuck. its always important check hemoglobin level for example. have a nice day!

Jean Paul Giudicelli Saba, MD