Will a Plastic Surgeon see me and tell me if there's anything I can do at this point?This hole just keeps getting larger (photo)

I had a wedge labiaplasty in June by gyno. After surgery labia were asymmetrical & had some puckered skin on other side. I met with a PS to have this fixed but ended up letting gyno fix it 2 wks ago. Wedge which has completely separated. The other side has hematoma and a huge hole. I have lost confidence in gyno. Should I see PS now for advice? Is anything they can do for this hole? Gyno seems very unconcerned. He says to just let it heal and that it might be fine when swelling goes down.

Hopefully you are healed as you desired

at this point as holes usually will heal with TLC and time.  If you still have issues with your appearances, it would be best to see a surgeon experienced in this procedure (not someone just dabbling in it) for an honest appraisal of your results and for options, if any, that could be pursued.  I'm hoping you did achieve a happy ending by this time.

No training & No skill

It looks like your trust in your original doctor was misguided as they have no training and no skill in labiaplasty. I'm not trying to bash anyone, and not trying to make you feel worse, I just want to emphasize to other women looking at this post, that just going to your trusted local gyn for a labiaplasty isn't necessarily a good idea. It doesn't matter the specialty of the doctor, it just matters if they've had training. Most Gyn's and plastic surgeons for that matter have not had training in this. Be selective and find someone who has. In your case, you need local wound care and close follow up, then consider revision in 4-6 months by a different doctor.

Labiaplasty revision

Hello Ouch,

I agree that the wound should be allowed to mature and hopefully heal completely over months before a revision is planned. There should not be much hematoma at this point. Hopefully it has either resolved or is to be drained unless it is very small.

For the present you need good wound care to encourage the healing that will allow possible revision later. Patients often do not consider when they choose a labiaplasty surgeon the potential need to rely upon that person for post-operative care later. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD 

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labia reconstruction

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You have a major deformity that requires a very skilled plastic surgeon in labiaplasty reconstruction.   The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone.  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, MD

See a Specialist

I am terribly sorry that your result is unsatisfactory.  Once you are outside of the routine healing time (6-8 weeks) have your original Gynecologist re-evaluate.  Any revision should be complimentary until you are happy with your result.  If not, then certainly seek a second opinion.  A Urogynecologist has years of training in this delicate area and should be your next stop.  Hope this helps!

If you have lost faith in your current surgeon you should definitely seek a second opinion. Worst case they tell you there is nothing they can do. I see no reason anyone would refuse to see you at all. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Poor Healing After 2nd Wedge Labiaplasty

Hi...  Sorry that you're going through all of this.  At this point, patience is the best approach.  You need a surgeon can help you take care of the area until it all heals in.  This can your current surgeon.  If you are not comfortable with your current surgeon, you can find a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a lot of labiaplasty procedures and let him take over.  Once you are fully healed (at least 6 months), then have a reconstruction IF the result doesn't look good.  Don't assume you need more surgery until you see how it all turns out.  Good luck.
Dr. Parham Ganchi - Wayne, NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Will a Plastic Surgeon see me and tell me if there's anything I can do at this point?This hole just keeps getting larger

Thank you for your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your wound healing difficulties.  I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation for appropriate wound healing recommendations and future revision surgery.  Seek one with extensive experience in labiaplasty corrections, and with whom you feel comfortable.  Best wishes!

Barking up the wrong tree after your botched labiaplasty?

You had a wedge labiaplasty revision and it fell apart. Perhaps the wedge was wrong technique. Perhaps the wedge was the right technique done incorrectly. Perhaps you should seek out an expert in labiaplasty rather than any random specialist from any specialty hoping that they have expertise in this procedure. Neither gynecologist nor plastic surgeons receive training in labiaplasty surgery during their residency training, so ask to see lots of before and after examples and ask lots of questions.

A "Re- Operation failure: what to do "3rd time around..?"

"Ouch" is right. I am sure you must be frustrated at this point. I will add my voice to the others, but do not agree that V-Wedge is an unacceptable procedure. It all depends on technique, suture material, and how it is cared for afterwards. And of course the estrogen content of your tissues, whether or not you are a smoker (smokers DO NOT HEAL WELL and frequently separate), or if you are diabetic or "pre-diabetic (high sugar content in the tissues = poor healing...)

That said, I advise to wait until all is totally healed (another 3-4 months, I'm afraid) and see the results. If still suboptimal, I agree with others: see an experienced plastic surgeon who specializes in both labiaplasty and "re-do's" and meticulous tissue reconstruction.  It's tough to operate "...the third time..." and, if functionally things are OK, and aesthetically acceptable, may be better to leave well enough alone... In any case, most plastic surgeons advise a wait of 6 months minimum prior to reconstruction that goes through previously operated-upon areas (to allow for the area to "revascularize.) The problem sometimes is that these tissues "scarify" and never fully revascularize, and simply do not heal upon re-operation...

Best wishes!

Michael P Goodman MD