I'm 1 week post SculpSure on my lower & upper abdominal area. i have horrible pain in the lower abdomen. Is this normal? (Photo)

The redness appeared 3 days after treatment. My after-care paperwork stated some mild redness may appear, but should not last long. The pain came with the redness and is not getting better. At treatment the machine was on the lowest setting and I still found it almost unbearable. At one point I almost asked to stop the procedure. I massage the areas twice a day as directed and use ice packs. Today is day 7 and the pain is not subsiding any. This is as painful as abdominal surgery.

Post SculpSure Treatment

Some patients may experience temporary redness, tenderness, swelling, and tissue firmness from SculpSure treatments on the targeted sites. Tenderness may last up to 2 weeks. Patients are encouraged to gently massage the area twice a day for 5 to 10 minutes and are able to use a cold compress and/or acetaminophen to help relieve any discomfort. Physical activity with proper hydration helps mobilize fat via the lymphatic system, which promotes the elimination process of the dead fat cells.

If you can, wait about two weeks to see if any of your symptoms subside, or go to your performing practitioner for an in-person examination of your SculpSure sites if you are still concerned. 

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

#sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Procedures

Since there has been a change in your post op course, I would recommend that you contact your physician so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Adverse Reaction

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with SculpSure. To my eyes, your body's reaction is well beyond what we see with SculpSure. I hope that you have called your doctor's office and asked them to take a look at your abdomen and treat your pain appropriately. He or she should also make the manufacturer (Cynosure) aware of your reaction. If you have any history of an autoimmune disorder or bleeding disorder, I would make that known as well. I would be grateful for any follow-up on your case. Thank you.

Patrick W. Blake, MD
Encinitas Dermatologist

Sculpsure and Pain/Bruising After Treatment

Its not common for this to happen and I suggest you seeing your physician.  However, it can happen and may need some oral prednisone or neurontin to calm down the situation.  Please see an expert who does a lot of these treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

SculpSure soreness after treatment.

Thank you for your question. I’m sorry that you are experiencing so much pain and discomfort. For most patients the treatment is not as painful but we do have a select few that do experience more pain than normal and this does not mean the treatment went wrong. Everyone’s pain tolerance is different as well as the place you are getting treated and how much fat deposit you have in the treatment area. Your pain/soreness should gradually subside, but if you see that it is not, please follow up with your physician. He may offer some medications to help alleviate the soreness. I hope you feel better soon!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Unsustainable pain after sculpture treatment

I am sorry that you are having issues about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

I'm surprised on seeing multiple complains on maintained pain after sculpture. After having done it to my self, I can testify that the treatment should not be painful. tenderness at some points should be bearable, and post treatment tingling is not painful at all. 

Finally, make sure that your doctor is aware of your process. He should be able to guide you best in your care.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Redness After SculpSure

This is not a normal response and I have not seen this type of reaction before.  I recommend contacting your Doctor and Cynosure (the manufacturer) immediately.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after SculpSure is very unusual

This combination of pain and redness is very rare, I have not seen it before.  I would contact you SculpSure physician for close follow up, to make sure you heal normally.  Needless to say I would not repeat the treatment again!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Not normal- revisit your SculpSure specialist.

This is NOT a normal reaction, and is the first one I have seen this bad. Now, this is NOT due to skin burn as cooling system was OK? How do I know that, because skin burns due to malfunction of contact cooling appear immediately or within the first day. 

This redness is 3 days after the treatment and may represent pannicullitis, ie. inflammation of the fat. Ideally your specialist should take a biopsy to confirm, and based upon clinical examination and history start on your steroids. 

I hope Cynosure is reading this- this treatment should be performed by Board Certified Specialist only- because performing the treatment is easy, sorting out the complications needs training and thought! 

Please see a Board certified specialist, and have this adverse reaction reported. Machine should be check for calibrations. I am sure this will settle down.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 
Fiori Institute of Body Contouring

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

SculpSure Side Effects

Thank you for your question. I am sorry that you are experiencing such discomfort from the procedure - I have to say, your reaction is very rare. Most patients only experiencing some slight swelling and maybe some tenderness that lasts a couple of days. I would recommend returning to the office where you had the procedure so you can be closely followed, and your symptoms monitored. As said, this is a rare side effect, and I am sure Cynosure (the company that owns SculpSure) will want to know about it. It should improve - but you should be examined in person, and the machine should be checked to ensure it is working effectively. Best of luck!