How long after having a baby do I need to wait to have a mommy makeover surgery?

Mommy Makeover After Having a Child

In order to ensure a healthy, long-lasting result, I recommend that my patient’s wait 3-6 months after you have sustained your post-pregnancy goal weight and have stopped breast-feeding to undergo a mommy makeover. After the birth of a child, it can take several months for your body to return to its pre-pregnancy form. Undergoing any form of plastic surgery while the body is in the process of growing or healing is not recommended. I also recommend that my patients wait until after they are finished having children before considering this kind of procedure. The body undergoes changes during pregnancy that can compromise your plastic surgery results, potentially causing the return of unwanted fat, excess skin, or other aesthetic concerns. 

Mommy Makeover after Childbirth

There are many different answers to this question, considering the fact that there could be several different points affecting the surgery have done. This will be best answered by your surgeon in consultation while determining which procedures you would like to best help achieve your desired final result. Good luck to you.

How long to wait after a baby for surgery

This is a really interesting question and one that there is not an absolute answer for. In some parts of the world, a tummy tuck is done at the same time as a C-section. With a mommy makeover, there needs to be time for both the breasts to evolve how they are going to and your uterus to shrink back so that the muscle and skin can be fully tightened. It's been my experience that a woman's body changes for 6-9 months after a child is born.  The best time is likely when your progress stabilizes.
When that time comes, make sure you find a surgeon you like in an office that makes you comfortable.
Dr. Pyle

Jeremy Pyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover - Following Pregnancy

Thank you for your question. I recommend waiting 6 months after delivery or completion of breast feeding. This allows sufficient time for your hormones to stabilize and your skin to contract. You should attempt to return to your pre-pregnancy weight during this time. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination and to discuss the details of the procedure.

Mommy makeover after baby

We would suggest three months as a minimum. If you are having breast surgery you do not want to be breast feeding. Have a consult with a bird certified plastic surgeon in person for best answers to your specific concerns. Best wishes 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

How long after pregnancy before Mommy Makeover?

This depends on breastfeeding and weight control.  I would suggest you wait at least 60 days after breastfeeding before having surgery.  Also, get to a stable comfortable weight for your best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Thank you for the question. I would suggest that you wait as long as necessary to have achieved a long-term stable weight and to give yourself at least 6 months after breast-feeding before undergoing “mommy makeover” surgery.  Having your child be more independent may be a good idea as well.

Some advice I give to my patients who are contemplating mommy makeover surgery may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

How long after a baby can I have a mommy makeover?

A minimum of 4 months if not breast feeding. If you're going to nurse, I recommend waiting until 3 months after you've finished and weaned before undergoing any surgery.

Thank you for your question and good luck!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

How long should i wait after having a baby to have a mommy makeover?

Thank you for your question. I would recommend you to wait at least 3 months and untill you have finished breast feeding, also not considering having more babies. That said, patients should strive to reach their ideal weight before surgery by using a disciplined approach to nutrition. When a patient is at or near their ideal weight, it is possible for the surgeon to get the best results. The best bet is to find a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in all these procedures. Combination procedures are very effective but SAFETY is the key! Chose your surgeon wisely and don't settle for less than board certification.

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  In our practice we often advise  our patients to wait a minimum of 3 months after they have stopped breastfeeding and lactating before considering surgery.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD