I had liposuction on my stomach three weeks ago and I'm concerned that it hasn't really made a difference.

For the first few days after the surgery I definitely noticed a difference, even though there was some swelling. Now, three weeks out, I feel as though I look exactly like I did before and it's quite disheartening. Is this normal or did I waste thousands of dollars?

Healing and Results after Liposuction

Thank you very much for your question. Unfortunately, at three weeks post-op, it is too early to see the results from your liposuction procedure. It will take several months for your body to fully heal and all of the swelling to resolve. In three to six months, you should be able to appreciate the results from your liposuction procedure. If you have any further questions, however, I would recommend you schedule a follow-up appointment with your operating surgeon.  

Healing after liposuction

Thank you for your question. You are still in the early stage of healing. Healing after liposuction is usually pretty straight forward.  There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery.  The later phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens.  It is after this time that patients get close to the final result, though this varies patient to patient. 

I had liposuction on my stomach three weeks ago and I'm concerned that it hasn't really made a difference

You are still very early into your recovery. liposuction comes with a great deal of swelling and can take 3-6 months to completely resolve. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction, fat over stomach area or tummy, swelling

Thank you for your query. Some edema or swelling is expected in the first few weeks after surgery so the results may not look very convincing. One has to use a pressure garment during this period, at least for 3 months and then review the results as edema or swelling always time to settle down. So don't be disheartened and do visit your surgeon for regular follow ups and voice your concerns so that he can examine you personally.Best wishes,Dr Alexander +

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and recovery

At three weeks after liposuction you are likely still swollen.  You have to give it time to settle  down. Best of luck.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you contact your surgeon to discuss your concerns. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Swelling after lipo

You are very early in your recovery. Most of us feel that final results from liposuction are not achieved for 4-6 months. If you have concern that you are not healing properly contact your plastic surgeon for an in person examination to address your concerns.

Asaf Yalif, MD
Roswell Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks after liposuction and no difference

What you are feeling is quite normal after a liposuction procedure. As you said first few days you could see an improvement. I am sure that you are experiencing a normal process of recovery after this type of surgery.I recommend to my patient to not to spend to much time in front of the mirror and measuring for the first 3 months at least because it can be frustrating.If you are not wearing a compression garment you should do it for the first six weeks and a course of manual lymphatic drainage could be helpful to speed up the result.Ask to your surgeon his opinion and be patient.Good luckMr giorgio Netri

Giorgio Netri, MBBS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon