Could I reasonably reduce to a B cup from I?

Hi there, I'm a 22 year old female with 32I breasts. Right now I'm a little overweight at 155lbs (5'3") but I'm working on losing weight. Is it reasonable for me to hope to get down to a B cup? I don't really care about breastfeeding or loss of sensation. Everyone who matters supports me in this. I just want to feel better about myself, and for many reasons this is what will help me. Please help! My GP has already promised me a referral to get Manitoba Health to cover it.

Candidate for a BA

From your description it would appear that you are an excellent candidate for breast reduction.Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman’s breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation.
Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
Large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Breast reduction to B cup

Hello and thanks for your question
It sounds like you are really having trouble with the size of your breasts. It's always had to promise an exact cup size, but it is likely that you will be able to go significantly smaller. With the 32 band size (size around your chest), your cup might not be a B though. I try to focus more on the look you want and improving symptoms, rather than the size on the tag. You do have to leave enough tissue that the nipple has good blood supply and the breast tissue will heal well. Breast reduction has a very high satisfaction rate and it's likely that you'll feel much better after surgery if your breasts are causing discomfort for you now.Depending upon the technique that's used, many women are still able to breastfeed after breast reduction, and the majority still have some nipple sensation.
See the link below for some additional information on breast reduction.
Best wishes-

From I to B cup

Breast reduction is a very satisfying operation for both the doctor and the patient.  Although, most patients would like to have the smallest breast possible as plastic surgeons we must respect the blood supply and subsequent healing capacity.  Your breasts can be reduced significantly but not to a B cup.  Consult with several plastic surgeons in your region. 

Very significant breast reduction possible?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  
Yes, it is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly. The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue; if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola) may be compromised. Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible) then the patient may have a problem with tissue survival.

I would suggest that you communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon and make sure that you have realistic expectations prior to proceeding with any type of surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work so you feel comfortable that he/she can achieve the outcome you are looking for. In regards to breast size desired, also communicate carefully. In my practice the use of goal pictures are helpful in this regard; a discussion of cup size can be confusing and imprecise. For example, “B cup” or “proportionate" may mean different things to different people, and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In other words, I would not suggest that you communicate your goals and/or base your satisfaction with the outcome of surgery on achieving a specific cup size. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question.  Provided that you are a good candidate for breast reduction with a stable weight and not a smoker, you can get down to the size you desire.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and communicate your goals and expectations clearly.  Wish photos can be helpful in communicating your goals.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS