Job requires 8 hours of standing: when can I go back to work after breast augmentation?

I am a pharmacist and my work requires me to stand for 8 hours a shift. I am having a breast augmentation done, with 495 cc anatomical breast implants being placed over the muscle through an inframammary incision. I am physically fit and I recover quickly from physical stress (I'm basing on the fact that I recovered very quickly after the birth of each of my three children). When can I return to work?

Returning to work with subglandular implants

is easier than when under the muscle.  In my practice, and with your occupation, I would anticipate you being able to return to work in a week.  But you must still not be overly exertional like lifting heavy boxes of medications.  Standing alone should be tolerable for however long you can stand.

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to your specific line of work. He/she will know how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Generally, most patients are able to return to a “desk job” within 5 to 7 days. More strenuous work, for example involving lifting or extensive upper body movement, will require more time off.  In your case, given your relatively strenuous occupation, you may need at least 4 to 6 weeks off, unless you are able to return to some type of modified duty. Generally, I ask patients to ease back into activity slowly and "listen to their bodies" as they do so.

Thank you for your question.  Standing for 8 hours and using your hands and arms to fill prescriptions is significant activity after breast augmentation.  I usually recommend 10 days to 14 days of rest after breast augmentation before returning to work.  Part of this is because the effects of anesthesia do fatigue you in addition to the discomfort caused by the surgery.

There are many advantages to placing the breast implant beneath the chest muscle and I suggested you discuss this with your plastic surgeon.