I'm going for a full breast lift. Will that allow me to go without a bra?

Breast lift and going braless

If you want to avoid your breasts sagging and future revision surgery, your best option is to support your breasts with a good bra.  On occasion its fine to go without a bra but not advisable on a daily basis.

Breast lift/Braless

The best way to make your breast lift last is to support them really well after surgery. This does not mean you cant go bra less for an occasional outfit here or there or not sleeping in a bra at night but going bra less all the time will cause your breasts to droop again over time quicker. Its best to wear a good supportive underwire bra once you are cleared to by your surgeon. In addition to supporting your breasts really well you will also benefit from maintaining a healthy stable weight. Weight fluctuations can also be a cause of potential droop again quicker overtime. 

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

When you need a breast lift it is because you have lost skin strength and elasticity. Just because you have a lift, it does not mean you have better skin. Going without a bra on a routine basis would be a poor choice. Going without a bra on rare occassions for a few hours is fine. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

I'm going for a full breast lift. Will that allow me to go without a bra

I think you will be able to go without a bra for a while, maybe 12-18 months, after that the breast tissue will stretch the lower pole of your breast mound and start to slowly drop, requiring a revision of the lift in a  few years. How soon that will be required depends on activity level, integrity of the skin, weight fluctuations and genetics.

Julio Garcia, MD

Bras after surgery

The brief answer is yes, however wearing a bra is strictly for comfort and social reasons.  So, it is a personal decision whether you should or should not wear a bra after surgery.  Immediately following the procedure a bra is necessary for holding the bandages in place and comfort.  But, after the initial healing it becomes a personal decision.Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Bras and Surgery

Gravity, time, weight loss and gains, pregnancy and genetics all play a roll in shape and perkiness of a woman breasts. Gravity plays a roll regardless of a breast being lifted. Furthermore, if you are getting a lift, there is a good chance that you are genetically predisposed to the effects of gravity.
With this in mind, if you spend the time, money and risk to have lifted breasts - take care of them.
I advise my patients to wear a bra most of the time, but if there is a special occasion - then go braless and show them off - just don't make it a habit or revision surgery will be a habit as well.If you would like more information on anything related to breast lifts, please read my book "Cosmetic Breast Surgery - a complete guide from A to Double D".

Robert M. Freund, MD

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Even with a breast lift you may find it helpful to have a bra on for support. A breast lift will help with the shape of the breast and the position of the breast. I would speak to your surgeon about what you can expect. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

The aftermath of breast lifts

Often, one of the nicest benefits of a breast lift, is that the patient does not have to always wear a bra. This allows you to expand your wardrobe for the summer and wear different styles of dresses. Ask your plastic surgeon about your specific circumstances and when it might be acceptable to go braless.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon