Will alloderm add any size in my breasts and can it be used to "manipulate" the breast to look bigger/equal to the other?

I have had 4 surgeries on my left breast in a very short period of time so am now forced to downsize my implant from 400-350 because of my weak skin/incision and am also getting alloderm. I would like to leave the right if i can but am wondering if there will be too much of a noticeable difference going down 50 on only one or if the alloderm can help with making it even? I am sad to be going smaller but don't want to be uneven. High profile under the muscle, & I am 5'2 and just over 100 lbs.

Benefits of Alloderm

Alloderm is thin sheets of collagen used primarily for support and positioning of the implant and muscle. Theoretically, if you used enough Alloderm it could add volume but that would be cost prohibitive and it's conceivable it could alter the feel of the breast. 

An implant appropriately sized for the skin envelope of your breast is your safest bet. If you need to be larger using a tissue expander may be necessary though costly and time consuming. I hope this helps. 

Benefits of Alloderm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Does AlloDerm Increase breast size?

It is unfortunate that you have had to undergo multiple procedures, but not that uncommon. AlloDerm and other similar products, called ADMs, have simplified complex revision cases. AlloDerm and other ADMs do not provide much volume, so typically they cannot compensate for reduction in the size of the implant. However, smaller asymmetries in volume can often be corrected with fat grafting. Good luck with your revision surgery.

Neal Handel, MD

Does AlloDerm Increase breast size?

Neal Handel, MD

Brest Asymmetry

Alloderm does not provide volume. On the other hand, a 50 cc difference between breasts is aesthetically acceptable, even in someone with slighter frame like you. It will not be noticeable to other people. Asymmetry will always be noticeable to you, but less so once you accept it as part of your body's natural asymmetry. If you have had as many surgeries in a short period of time, the most important thing is good healing, no infections, and moving past surgery and surgical complications. 

Brest Asymmetry

Alloderm

sorry to hear about your difficulties. Alloderm can be used to shape the pocket the implant is in and help healing de some of the ripples of the implant but it will not increase the size of your breast. As far as size,you  can add volume to your bra and then gauge if this difference is too much for you.  I would discuss this concern with your plastic surgeon. In these situations going smaller and allowing the skin to retract is often a better lthan no term solution than further thinning the skin envelope. 

Best of luck

Alloderm

Best of luck

Breast asymmetry

Thanks for your inquiry and sorry for all your struggles.  I am unsure how you will feel about the 50 cc of volume difference as this is a subjective question.  50 cc of 400cc is less than 13% difference.  Please discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and I also hope the alloderm helps, good luck. 

Breast asymmetry

Bigger is not always better.

Hello bgurl and thank you for your question. Alloderm provides additional support to your own tissues, but does not add noticeable size to the breast. That said, all women naturally have some asymmetry of their breasts and although a 50cc difference is likely to be noticeable, it may not be depending on the situation. Finally, the heavier the implant, the more stress it places on your skin in the long run. So, if you have a 'weak skin/incision', downsizing your implant is probably a safe choice because it is likely to give you a better result for a longer period of time. Bigger is not always better. I hope this helps.

Bigger is not always better.

Breast Surgery

Sorry to hear you had had so many surgeries.  One thing to consider which I frequently do with my patients is remove the implants and replace them in 4-8 weeks.  This often simplifies the whole process and is like starting fresh again in many cases.  I know it sounds drastic but it works well in my hands.  Best of luck.  

Breast Surgery

Alloderm

Hello and thank you for your question. I alloderm l will not add a significant amount of volume to your breast. It can be used to support the implant if that support is needed. Best wishes Theodore T Nyame M.D. 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Alloderm

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Alloderm

Alloderm adds very little to the volume of the breast.  It can help control the pocket, shape the breast, cover areas to lessen visible ripling and help with the overall stability of the implant.  I'm not sure how much this 50 cc difference will make in your situation, but your plastic surgeon should be able to give you a better idea.

Alloderm