Will getting liposuction give me a coveted 'flat stomach', or make my stretch marks look worse? (Photos)

I was interested in getting liposuction on my lower abdomen however I have stretch marks all over these areas that are several years old (prior pregnancy). The marks themselves aren't terrible, (light brown in colour and thin in diameter) I'm just wondering if lipo will make them worse. I am aware that liposuction will not make the marks go away, my top priority for surgery is obtaining a flat stomach. I just want to know if liposuction will make them look worse or more noticeable?

Liposuction after pregnancy?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Unfortunately, you will need an exam to answer your questions.
  • Generally liposuction after pregnancy and stretch marks will leave sagging skin.
  • And generally after pregnancy, a tummy tuck is needed for a flat stomach.
  • So find the best plastic surgeon in your area and have a consultation to find out if liposuction is reasonable for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction and stretch marks

Stretch marks indicate there was some damage to the elasticity of the deep layers of the skin. Despite the presence of the stretch marks, your skin appears to have reasonably good quality.  It is hard to tell for sure without examining you in person.  Liposuction will remove subcutaneous fat and there will be some skin tightening that occurs over time after surgery, usually within the first 3-6 months.  If you do not have much excess lower abdominal skin, liposuction should be a great option to achieve a flatter stomach.  If the skis is loose and you are not satisfied after liposuction, a limited skin removal can be done at a second procedue.  Good luck.

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction

Liposuction will remove some of the deep fat from the abdomen.  It wont significantly effect the skin.  If your skin has stretch marks, these symbolize damage to the dermis and make it less likely for your skin to rebound after liposuction.  Unfortunately there is not a great treatment for stretch marks but to remove them surgically.  You could always try liposuction first and if you don't get the final result you want, progress to an abdominoplasty.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon