Correcting tubular breasts?

Since I started puberty my areolas have been puffy and my nipples very flat unless erect. I'm tired of the way they look and worry I won't be able to breast feed. I want correct them, however every case I look at there has been breast implants put in along with the correction. I DO NOT WANT IMPLANTS, I just want my nipples/areolas corrected. As well, does these mean that my breasts have underdeveloped (ie. they are not the size they "should" be?) Will they properly develop after the surgery?

Surgery

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift.

I recommend you to get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine how your surgery's going to be performed! 

Tubular breasts

In theory, you can have a simple periareolar mastopexy without implants, and this would give you some improvement over your current situation. Unfortunately, implants do play a role in correcting tuberous breasts, and without them you won't get the best possible shape. Breastfeeding cannot be guaranteed after a periareolar lift, so that is another issue you should consider.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Breasts

It sounds like you really would like to breast-feed, in that case I would probably suggest you wait until after having children. It is unlikely with a crescent lift or what is called a circumareolar mastopexy that any breast tissue would be damaged however I don't know that I would take the chance if I was you. Any  work you have done to your nipples in order to create more projection will absolutely ability to breast-feed. I would see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area so they can do an examination and help you determine the best course of action.

Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts?

I think that you need to be seen in person to be properly evaluated. Usually an implant improves the tight lower pole.

Correction of the constricted or tubular breast without breast implants.

Release of the base of the breast will allow for correction of tubularity. If the areola is common shape perhaps the only good indication for donut mastopexy is for this anatomic variation.

Tubular breasts

Thank you for your question and tubular breasts can be corrected without implants but an examination is needed so see some experts in your area 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Tuberous breasts

Without a photo, it's hard to comment exactly what would be necessary to fix your tubular breasts. Sometimes, a circular mastopexy with an outside circle larger than an inside circle can put stretch on the areola and correct the sub areolar puffiness. If there's a short high  tight increase with the puffiness than some intrinsic stretching that a breast implant will allow for can help in that regard. Fat grafting may also be some benefit. I recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your region to evaluate you and suggest what plan of action might be best for you. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Nipple aereolar repair for tubular breasts

Bella,

In tubular breasts, the deeper tissues herniate into the areola.   Breast implants are used to increase the surface area and size of the surrounding breast.  Most women with this condition are on the small size so they want implants as well.  

Improvements can be made without implants by a circumareolar approach. Essentially the excess areola is removed in a donut area and the closure makes the aereola smaller.  The surgeon should use a soft, permanent suture deep in the tissues to hold this for the long term (PTFE suture) or the deformity will recur. You breast will not mature any differently in terms of size so an implant in the future is still an option eventhough you don't think you want this now.

All the best!   Thank you for your question.

Tuberous Breasts

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to answer your questions without any photographs. It is possible to correct some components of tuberous breast without implants. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Without seeing photographs it is difficult to give you an exact answer, however, based on your question, there is absolutely no reason why you could not have surgery to the areas that concern you without having an implant. The use of implants has absolutely nothing to do with your desired procedure and should not even come into the discussion if that is not what you wish to have. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon