57 year old weigh 162, 5'6 lost 50 lbs two years ago, am I ok to get tummy tuck? (photos)

I've gone to the gym and worked out. Can't use tread mil and have to be careful of cardio. Osteo in knee, which is why I let weight. My ideal weight is 147 according to the charts

Tummy tuck and lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question. In this regard i recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour. Kind regards

Could I get a tummy tuck?

Yes, you would be the ideal candidate for a tummy tuck.  You are thin.  Have excess skin.  Potentially have a muscle separation (rectus diastasis.)  And you have good quality remaining skin.  So yes, you would be a fabulous candidate for a tummy tuck.  Best of luck.

Full tummy tuck

From these photos, you seem to be a candidate for a tummy tuck. A full tummy tuck with liposuction of the flanks would address your areas of concern. . Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Body Contouring Surgery for a consultation. Be sure to express your expectations and goals to the surgeon your choose. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #tummytuck #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

57 year old weigh 162, 5'6 lost 50 lbs two years ago, am I ok to get tummy tuck?

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Based on your photo appeared to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck.  However if you plan to lose more weight you should do it before your tummy tuck.  If you lose weight after your tummy tuck the skin of her abdomen may sag again.

Lateral Tension Abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question and for posting appropriate pictures. You seem to be a great candidate for a lateral tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck. This procedure will remove loose skin and tighten your abdominal muscles. Patients can lose about 15% of their body weight after this procedure. You will need to have an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

You would do awesome with a tummy tuck!!

It is really hard to give advice without examining patients with regards to abdominoplasties and the many permutations and “versions” of them that get offered to patients.  Briefly, if you have excess skin or laxity in your skin and fat, removal of that tissue would be of benefit.  If your muscle contour is not what it used to be or it not optimal, a procedure to tighten your “core” may be necessary.  This is especially important in the post-pregnancy population as during your pregnancy, your muscles were forced to adapt to a growing baby inside.  Most times, those muscles don’t  go exactly back to where they were before.  Some come back really darn close, but rarely to their exact pre-pregnancy position.  If you don’t have the musculature issues addressed, and you only have the skin and subcutaneous tissues removed, your contour will not be optimal and I believe you will be dissatisfied with your results.  It’s paramount to fix the foundation (the musculature) before building the house. The next question to address is what to do with your belly button.  Depending on the amount of upper abdominal laxity, you may have your belly button brought through a new place in your skin (belly button stays where it is on your abdominal wall, but by stretching skin downwards, it needs to come out in a new place or it would look tethered and not natural) or you  may need to leave it where it is or potentially “float” it down the abdominal wall an inch or two (it actually ends up being lower on your torso than where it started).  Decisions about pre-surgery position of your belly button and tradeoffs between potential scar placement vs. keeping your belly button in a naturally-appearing position are used to determine that.  As you can see, there are lots to consider when discussing abdominoplasties.  You really need to discuss all of these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon and see pictures of their results. Who cares if someone does “drainless tummy tucks” if their results do not look great.  Likewise, tummy tucks that are done overly tight do not look natural and defeat the purpose of having your abdomen rejuvenated in the first place.  What good is getting a tummy tuck if you aren’t excited to show it off?  Hope this helps! -JGH

Timing for Tummy Tuck

If you are comfortable with your current weight you could proceed with a tummy tuck.  Of course your general health needs to be good as well.Your highest normal weight is 147# (big boned) and your optimal weight is 130#, but where you love your body is the place you need to be.  If that is lower, then you need to lose the weight before you proceed. If you are loving it where you are, (congrats on the weight loss!!) then go for it!(BTW, exercise is a great stress reducer and a fitness technique but in women, weight control is almost entirely based on eating habits, not on exercise.)

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD