I had Liposuction 3 months ago to the middle of my abdomen. What has to be done to correct it.?

Around 4 weeks ago and 2 months after my operation a large area of selling occurred to both sides of my abdomen. one side of my abdomen is swollen with a smaller lump underneath which is sore and have some pain. The other side is very swollen with a large lump which is solid. Massage has not helped or heat treatment and has not reduced in size. Please could you advise me in what may have gone wrong with my surgery and what has to be done to correct it.?

Lumpy abdomen

It seems you may have either fat necrosis or an encapsulated seroma. Was your procedure performed by a board certified plastic surgeon?  If not then it would be a good idea to obtain an in person exam with an experienced plastic surgeon.  Either possibility can be easily addressed by the proper physician.  Good luck to you.

Thank you for your question. After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction recovery

I would stop with both the heat and the massage to let your body heal. I would also suggest that you contact your surgeon to discuss your issue. He or she knows your case most intimately. So sorry that you are experiencing this. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Significant contour issues three months after liposuction.

Heat and massage therapy may actually be aggravating the problem. The first order of business is to let everything heal. At three months there still swelling which needs to resolve completely. Once this process is over evaluation of the problem if it still exists can occur. Wait several months and consider posting a good photograph