Do most PS waive fees to remove implants they had placed?

Do most PS waive fees to remove implants they had placed? My surgeon back in 1994 told me that if I had a leak he would perform the surgery free except the anesthesiologist fees. Is there a similar concept for removal of implants? Or is it most typical that those would be elective, so surgeons don't waive/discount fees? Just wondering if I should bother visiting my old dr who is 3 hours away or simply do consults closer to me.

Gratis Implant Removal Not Likely

It would be very unusual for Plastic Surgeons to waive their fees for implant removal many years after they are placed.

Removal of implants

Generally speaking there are fees associated with implant removal, especially if done electively.  In addition to the surgeon's fee, there are other fees that surgeon often has no control over, such as anesthesia fees and facility charges.  With silicone implants, sometimes insurance will help cover the cost of removal of the implants if there is a leak, but this varies policy to policy.  
If you feel your surgeon was willing to waive the fees for removal, then I would start by contacting his office.

Camille Cash, MD

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Do most PS waive fees?

I am not aware of a standard practice in this regard.

However, in general, there are fees asides from the surgeon's fee for this and any other surgical procedure.  These include the fees for anesthesia and the use of the surgical facility.  You should by all means contact the surgeon who performed your original surgery to see what his or her policy is regarding this but I would be surprised if all of the fees related to a surgical procedure performed over twenty years ago would be waived.

You can also contact several surgeons who are closer to where you are now.

Aside from the fee issue, and with the understanding that that is a fact of life, you should fine out what you will most likely look like afterwards, and whether additional procedures are recommended or advised based on that.  If you otherwise have a good result you may want to consider not having them removed.

That, however, is something you'll need to discuss in person with your surgeon or another who can examine you and go over the advantages and disadvantages of each of the options.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Cost of Breast Implant Removal

Typically, there is a fee for breast implant removal. It is an entirely separate, cosmetic procedure. If your plastic surgeon has agreed to perform the procedure at some point, I would contact their office first. 

Jeremy A. Benedetti, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant removal

Thank you for your question. There is certainly no standard practice when it comes to surgeon's fees. Typically, a surgeon will waive the surgeons fee for a surgical complication (for example a hematoma, infection, malposition, etc.). I think that elective removal after over 20 years would be unlikely to be waived. However, it never hurts to ask. You should call your original plastic surgeon's office to determine what their protocol is regarding your situation.

Best Regards,
Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD

Waive fees

If you have a signed agreement that your surgeon would waive his fees, and he still is in practice, you might want to travel to see him. Otherwise, most surgeons charge for each surgery done. Some do waive or reduce their surgical fee if a revision is needed within a certain time frame after the initial surgery. Most do not waive OR or anesthesia fees.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Fee waived to remove an old implant.

Thank you for your question.  After 21 years it seems you have a good longevity for your prior surgery.  I am not aware of any plastic surgeons who would make that offer.  If your prior surgeon is still in practice and honors his prior promise it might be worth the savings.  On the other hand it may be smart to see someone closer and get a quote.  Then you could compare and decide if it would be worth the trip.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon