I have a question regarding breast augmentation. Should I go for 325cc?

I was told that if I like how I look while testing 300 cc implants placed inside my bra, I should go with 325 cc (one size up) to achieved the desired results post-op. Is this true?

Choosing a size choosing a surgeon, getting the best outcome

You are correct.  In order to get the look of 300 you should probably go a bit larger (25 to 40cc).  

The best way to determine the size that fits your personal perception of the perfect breast is to try on sizers. This way you can see how they fit on you, how they add to your current volume, and whether they fit your frame. Although the surgeon can guide you, only you will be able to tell what is the right size. Try on sizers. HP implants, which are a more modern shape than moderate profile implants, fit most women better. They have a more appropriate base diameter for the average women's chest. Mentor HP profile saline implants have base diameters that range from 8.8 cm (very narrow) to 13.8 cm (moderately wide). The majority of women in my practice have base diameters in the 11 to 13 cm range. The HP implants fit them well. The moderate implants have much wider base diameters for the same volume (often in the 14 to 15.6 cm range). These implants are too wide for most women that I treat. So when the base diameter is measured and correlated with the diameter of the implant, it is most often necessary to use HP implants to achieve the volume the patient is requesting. At the volume selected, my patient's base diameters are too small for moderate profile implants. Measuring a diameter and then telling the patient what volume they can have (in high, moderate or moderate plus implants) in my mind is backwards. The patients should be allowed to choose the volume. Then the surgeon carefully considers the base diameter, projection, profile, manufacturer, and fill material that will achieve the patients goals of size as well as qualitative look (natural, intermediate, or bold upper pole fullness or projection), all the while taking into consideration the patient's anatomic features that will affect the outcome. HP implants can be made to look very natural or very augmented, depending on where in the range the implants are filled to achieve a particular volume. At the low end of the fill range, HP implants do not have the upper pole fullness that most people associate with the fake look. On the other hand, a fake over-augmented look can be created with a moderate profile implant if it is overfilled (a common practice for surgeons that commonly use moderate profile implants). In addition, too wide an implant will put the volume past the anterior axillary fold, which in my opinion, looks more fake than upper pole fullness. So there are many factors that need to be considered. The experience of the surgeon and the degree to which they explain the options to you is of utmost importance. Obviously all of my patients look at photographs and we evaluate the look they are desiring in great detail. For me, high profile implants are the first choice. I rarely find an indication to use moderate or moderate plus implants. This does not make me a better surgeon, or a worse surgeon. Look at the outcomes and judge for yourself. The outcomes should stand on their own. The subtlety in the final outcome is not achieved by which profile implant is used, it is determined by the skill in the creation of the pocket, the choice of volume, and where in the range the implant is filled. Don't let the doctor tell you what would look good on you. They cannot tell what you perceive to be the best size.

Implant size

Once I have come up with a plan with m y patient's involvement, I have them do baggy tests at home and the volume they choose in accordance with what we discussed preop is often what we go with.

I have a question regarding breast augmentation. Should I go for 325cc

Sizing for a patient is very important to make the patient comfortable in her choice of implants. We use the Vectra system for 3D imaging. This computer simulation allows the patient to view different size implant on her frame via computer graphics and then compare them to the pre op images and other images with different sizes. See if your surgeon offers this option. Good luck. 

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

Generally, it is correct that the surgeon will go up one or two sizes. I suggest you bring photos to your surgeon of you desired result.
Good luck! 

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Right size implant

I think when my patients say they want about 300 I will usually have 2 sizes above and below that amount to give them the best result.It gives the surgeon an idea of what size you would like.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Implant volume

in general, if a patient likes a certain of implant, placed on top of her skin preop, then yes......   generally the surgeon would go up at least one size and maybe 2. bring the BCPS example photos of what you desire for the final result.

Not necessarily.

Placing an implant inside a bra is a notoriously unhelpful and inaccurate way to evaluate which implant is suitable for you, and a recipe for potential disappointment. Mentor makes formed sizers that are designed to specifically mimic what you would look like in a bra with, say, a 350 cc implant. These do not address profile as much as volume. Yet this is one maneuver of several that needs to take place in order to determine exactly what size implant is most likely to achieve the enhancement you desire. 

Without a physical examination it is difficult to respond with accuracy, but the best way to determine which breast implant size is best for you is by first finding out your specific wishes not only with words or letters as in cup size or “not too big” or “natural”, but also with a visual understanding of what you hope to look like. This can be accomplished either with photographs of patients whose breasts and body type look like you, or ideally with photos of patients not only whose breasts are similar to yours, but are also a similar height, weight, and pre-operative breast size. In our own practice we have provided that unique functionality on our website to accomplish exactly that.

Unfortunately the most common reason for a woman to be unhappy after her augmentation is feeling as though she is either too big or not big enough. Thankfully, in our practice this is rarely a problem because implant size selection is what we spend most of our time discussing and determining. I do not place the onus of selecting the breast implant size on my patients since they are coming to me for my advice and expertise, but I do ask my patients to be as specific as possible about their aesthetic goals and I then advise them accordingly.

Implants vary in width, projection and volume. This can be very confusing to women, who are used to discussing one number only such as “300 cc’s”. To better understand which implant is best for you, in our consultation room we have two shelves one above the other, each with four implants. The top shelf has all the implants with exactly the same width (12.5 cm), yet the less projecting implant with that width is a 275 cc Moderate or Classic, and the most projecting is a 590 cc Ultra High Profile. On the lower shelf, all of the implants are 300 cc implants, yet the less projecting implant has a width or diameter of 12.8 cm, and the most projecting of the 300 cc implants is the Ultra High Profile which has a 9.7 cm diameter.

Once it is determined which implant width or diameter would best fit you, the next step is to decide which what sort of look you are hoping to achieve, i.e. more projection, moderate, or least. This is determined by how much breast tissue you have naturally, and how large you ultimately wish to be. All of this would be discussed during your consultation. And don’t be shy about coming prepared with images which you feel best represent your desired end point. These can be determined by visiting our own gallery,  or any other photos you wish to bring. The advantage of using our gallery is that all of the relevant information about patient age, implant size and type, are clearly indicated.

I would advise you to seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in breast enhancement surgery and make sure that your own sense of aesthetics aligns with that of your plastic surgeon. Your idea of “natural” or “pretty” or “proportionate” might be different from your plastic surgeon’s and it is very important for you to feel confident that you are both of like minds as far as the goals. Best of luck to you and I hope you are successful in achieving the enhancement you are seeking.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Going for slightly larger size

Hello, every surgeon will have their own slightly different sizing system.  However, like your surgeon, when a person is trying on sizers I tell them that the actual size is likely going to be a little smaller than what they see in the mirror.  If they are debating between two sizes I suggest they choose the larger size (provided I feel it is still appropriate for their breast dimensions).

There is not too much difference between 300 cc and 325 cc when it comes to implant appearance

If you think about it, 30 cc is one ounce, and that is the size of a standard shot glass, so you can see that 25 cc is really a very small difference.  In fact, I would venture to say that most people who aren't used to studying breast augmentation results would have a hard time detecting 25 cc differences in breast implants in most ladies.  Even then, what you would probably notice most is maybe a small increase in the amount of fullness at the upper part of the breast.  Ultimately, you and your surgeon will be best equipped to make the final decision of which implant looks best on you, but what I generally tell my breast augmentation patients is that if you are torn between two sizes that are very close like this, and you think that you would be OK with either size, you may want to err on the larger size, simply because the mindset of most ladies undergoing breast augmentation is that they want to be sure that they are "large enough."  Now, if you have tried on 325 cc and you say "No way, I definitely wouldn't be happy with that," then I would rethink that option and stay with the 300, but the difference is honestly so subtle, that if you think 325 cc would be acceptable, it will probably wind up being perfect in the end.  Good luck.

Honestly, there is very little difference between 300 and 325 cc. It's hard to determine your best size without specific breast measurements and an in person exam. Remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. Remember that sizers will only give you a rough estimate. Good luck!