Can Botox fix my nasolabial folds? (photo)

When I smile my nasolabial folds are different shapes and my nose leans toward the right. My right cheek also feels tight when smiling conpared to my left. My jaw line is also different because of my cheeks. Could Botox fix this? Also, I am only 18 so would it be beneficial to get it done young or wait? Thank you!

Nasal labial folds

Nasal labial folds are normal to have. Botox will not treat them. Typically they are treated with a filler like Juvaderm or Restalyne. Treating nasal labial folds are still treated in extreme cases but the more balanced and aesthetic pleasing approach is look at the face a whole.  Create balance. I consult many patients about this and many times we opt to treat the cheek area to give a lifting effect to the face but only if it is deficient. Over treating the nasal labial folds can widen the face.

Botox for Nasal folds

No botox cannot eliminate nasolabial folds.  The right filler product with the right placement will help with this area.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a proper assessment/consultation.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox for nasolabial folds?

Botox can theoretically treat asymmetric facial muscle motion by relaxing the overactive side a little. However, more than likely, you have some very mild facial asymmetry where one side is a little fuller than the other. It is extremely common. An examination would be necessary to determine the cause of your concern, but my opinion is that your asymmetry is so minimal, that it doesn't detract from your overall very pretty face. I think you are the only one that notices this, so I'd recommend doing nothing.Andrew Campbell, M.D.Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Smiles.

Botox used in the lower face can actually lead to more asymmetry. From what you describe and the appearance of the smile in your photo the proper placement of a filler can help potentially to create more symmetry...however we cannot see the upper part of your cheek area and this is important because it must also be assessed for asymmetry and be a contributing factor. I would say to have a dermatologist or plastic surgeon evaluate you for possible fillers.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Nasolabial Folds

Thank you for question. Botox is not typically used in this area. Botox is a muscle relaxer that is often used in the frown lines between the eyebrows and crows feet. I would recommend an in person exam with an experienced injector to see if you are a candidate for injectable filler in this area.

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Botox to fix nasolabial folds

Botox is typically injected into the muscles of the crows feet, glabella and forehead in order to "freeze" muscle activity. Botox is not used in the nasolabial folds. You would need to meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the use of fillers for this area. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

NL lines

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo.You'd likely benefit more from filler than Botox. I recommend an in-person consult with a well-trained dermatologist or plastic surgeon. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Nasolabial fold treatment

Fillers are a great treatment options for improving nasolabial folds and correcting facial asymmetries. I recommend an in-person consultation with an experienced injector. Good luck!

Nasolabial area and Correction

A filler such as Juvederm  or Voluma is better with correction of the nasolabial area than Botox.  Please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox fix nasolabial folds?

Botox is used to inhibit muscle activity which causes wrinkles. Inhibiting the ability to smile wouldn't look natural. Improving NLF is general a problem that filler correct. Asymmetries along the jawline can also be improved with filler. Go to an experienced injector for this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD