7 month post op Restylane injection on nasolabial fold. I have swelling ever since. Is this normal?

Had a restylane injection back in Jan 2014 , that has left my nastobial fold swollen for 7 months now w/ a cyst that keeps reoccurring that needs steroid injections to calm it down, When I smile i have a puffy cheek, MRI results today ( 7/29 ) show there is scar tissue in area of question with increased vascularity . Surgeon doesnt know what to make of this. I am SO unhappy with how I look. Is there a specialist I should see ? If so who ? Is there any hope to EVER getting this fixed and how?

7 month post op Restylane.

If you are unhappy with the results schedule a follow up with your injector and discuss a hyaluronidase injection to remove the product. 

Best of Luck. 

Swelling after Restylane

If you feel that there is swelling it is possible that there is still product there. I would go to a reputable injector and have then take a look and a feel. If they think that there is scar tissue they might inject steroids but if they think that this is product then they can inject hyaluronidase and dissolve it. It is possible that you had too much product or that it was injected too superficially. I have never seen Restylane scar so have faith. Probably will eventually reverse itself. See someone you trust

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist