Is it safe to say 400 will be significantly different looking than 450? Am I being ridiculous or overthinking it? (photo)

I decided on a 450cc HP but I'm nervous that they will look too big and fake. I have looked at the dia and the diff btwn the 400, 425 and 500 but the dia is larger, is it noticeableor not? If I am a full B/C now w/a 13.5 diameter with little to no sag, do you think the 450 wld look, too big and fake or good? I've been on Realself and looked at thousands of before and after pics of all diff sizes but some of the girls have much smaller breasts to begin with and sometimes more skin (post baby).

Picking Implant Size

Dilla
I try to tailor each breast augmentation operation to my patient's desires and body type. When going larger, the most important factor is base diameter. The implant base diameter should not be larger than the base diameter of your breast because if much larger, implant will be felt and seen in your armpit!
There are pros and cons regarding saline and silicone implants, and patient anatomy and preference play a role in selection. The same is true regarding implant projection. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and go to your consult with all your questions written down so you don't forget to ask something. Good Luck!

450 cc implants

These implants look different on different people.  You can try a baggy test with the volume to get a rough idea on how they might look.

Choosing an implant

Choosing a size is all about a healthy conversation between you and your plastic surgeon, Dilla90. Anatomy and the size of your breast "footprint" or dimensions of your chest can help pick an implant. The thickness of the overlying breast is also an important factor in implant selection. So even a little difference can mean a big change. Different implants have different projection and this varies by manufacturer. Picking the right implant for you depends on a number of factors and talking about this in consultation is the best way to go and sometimes requires changing the shape of the breast with a mastopexy too. Good luck, MMT

Yes, you are over thinking your breast implant size

Yes, you are over thinking your breast implant size options. The difference between a 450 and 400 cc implant is very small especially given your existing breast tissue. If you still have questions you should discuss them with your plastic surgeon. Everyone has a different opinion of what the "fake" look is, so that's something you will need to consider when talking with your surgeon. Wish pics can be helpful, but remember that in addition to implants, your frame, breast structure, and other factors will ultimately determine your augmented shape and appearance. 

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

400 vs 450

Thank you for the question and the picture.    There is very little noticeable difference between the 400 and the 450.    You certainly want to be confident with your choice prior to surgery,  you may want to talk with your surgeon again or try on sizers if that is an option.       Best of luck

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

400 cc vs. 450 cc

Thank you for the photograph!  The main focus should be on what cup size and what "look" you would like to achieve.  The 450 cc high profile implants are going to give a more projected appearance and you will likely be in the full D-DD range, depending on what your chest measurement is (32 in vs. 34 in vs. 36 in).  Is a  "forward" appearance with significant upper pole fullness what you want to achieve?  Beyond that, there is only about a 3 tablespoon difference between a 400 cc and 450 cc implant.  Having a further discussion with your plastic surgeon's office may be helpful in your decision process, along with printing out the photographs of how your would like to look.  Best wishes for a beautiful result! 

Sizing for BA

Hello! Did you get sized by your surgeon? You really should not be the one surfing the internet looking at implant specs and figuring out what will best fit you. The best option is to try on the implants in a consultation to see what they look like on you and your surgeon can guide you in this, according to your size goal. The implant width should be a close match to your chest width and the projection is the factor that guides which implant you choose to meet your ultimate size goal. There may be a visible difference in 50cc and definitely in 100cc , not so much for 25cc. You should be comfortable with your decision prior to surgery.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Implant choices

Think about it this way. If you have a 400 cc implant, and let's say, 300 cc of natural breast, that is a 700 cc total. The 50 cc you are agonizing over represents only 7% of that volume. This will not make a "significant" difference, but rather a subtle one.It is important to realize that the ultimate breast size and shape depend upon so very many variables. A 300 cc implant on a petite woman with a thin frame may look quite large, but that same implant in an overweight woman may be barely noticeable. Size and shape of the result depend upon the volume of the implant, the shape of the implant, if it is over or under the muscle, your skin and its resilience, stretch marks, the degree of breast sagging, chest circumference, amount and distribution of the natural breast tissue, etc. For this reason, it is impossible to give reliable advice based simply upon height and weight, or even photos.
The only way to approach reliable predictions is with an in-person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon, the use of sizers, 3-D imaging, and most importantly, relying upon the skill, expertise, and experience of your chosen Board-Certified Plastic surgeon.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Too Big?

Thanks for your question and the photo.

It is always hard to pick your implant size over the internet. Headless photos don't tell the story of the patients height or frame.

I recommend you try on implant sizers with your PS. It will give you the opportunity to see how the width of the implant balances with the curve of your hips. Too wide will look top heavy, too narrow will look torpedo-ish.

Below is a link about how I approach sizing. I hope it is helpful.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Trust Your Surgeon

You are over thinking this.  There is only a 10 percent difference between the two. Try on sizers with your surgeon for a clear understanding of the volume being added.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD