Had Juvederm in my upper lips; feel like it protrudes unnaturally. Will this go away?

I am 53 yrs old, had juvederm into my upper lip, the white are, not the red lip, the philtrum and smoker lines, although I never smoked. I feel like it protrudes unnaturally , will thins go away, and if not, how long will juvederm last, not liking the look.

Swelling after Juvederm

Swelling after filler injections can last 7-10 days. If you still find your lips protruding you could have the filler dissolved with hyaluronidase. You can also wait 9-12 months to have the filler dissolved on its own. I hope this information was helpful.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Juvederm duration

Yes, if you do nothing at all the Juvederm will gradually dissolve.  It generally takes 9-12 months.  You can also consider having hyaluronidase injected which will dissolve the product.  You didn't mention how long ago you had the injections.  If it's been less than 2 weeks I would wait and let the product settle.  You still may be experiencing swelling at that area.

Camille Cash, MD

Certain Fillers Less Likely To Cause Edema By Tissue Water Attraction Than Juvederm

I have been injecting the bar code lines and the philtrum for over three decades, since the early days with the original use of Zyderm I Collagen for these purposes. More recently a number of other, more appropriate fillers have come to market for treating this area. In general, when it comes to the perioral region, I prefer to reserve Juvederm Ultra Plus XC for use within the red area of the lips. If injected by an experienced injector, it can impart a smooth, natural look, rather than the unwanted "duck lips" or "trout pout" look. For the"bar code" (aka "smoker's lines") lines, in my Upper East Side Manhattaan office, I prefer the use of Belotero Balance injected with a special technique to elevate these very fine lines and for creating or enhancing the Cupid's Bow and philtrum. Belotero possesses little to no tendency to give rise to the unwanted, bluish Tyndall Effect when injected superficially within the delicate tissues around the mouth. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers are available, I typically opt for Teosyal Redensity II for these purposes). Juvederm possesses a well-known strong tendency to attract tissue fluid from the surrounding area for some time following treatment, and hence possesses the propensity for producting prolonged, unwanted swelling in some cases. Now, hopefully, the swelling in this particular instance is simply the result of the procedure. If so, it will go down within the next two weeks or so. If not, you should return to the treating physician to discuss dissolving the Juvederm with hyaluronidase. It is best to be sure that you are being treated by a board certified, aesthetic core physician with experience and expertise in treating the perioral area and lips,  areas that require a physician with advanced injection skills and not a novice injector accustomed to using simple Juvederm for treating smile lines. Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Juvederm for Lips

Dear nlgpa;

Swelling normally lasts 7-10 days after Juvederm injection to the lips.  Best to have your lips assessed 2 weeks after injections.  If you find them still protruding and unnatural, you could have the filler dissolved with hyaluronidase or wait 9-12 months for the filler to reach the end of it's lifespan.  Hope this information helps.

Juvederm can also 6-9 months.  You can also dissolve it with hyaluronidase. Best of luck with your results.

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The lips can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant for a permanent enhancement.  The degree of swelling can vary with the patient and even with the different lip augmentation treatments.  We recommend arnica and ice therapy to all of our filler patients to decrease swelling and bruising.  

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

I have used Botox or Xeomin to soften the "smokers" lines around the lip and mouth for many years and when properly performed believe that this provides a superior result to placing a dermal filler in these lines.  It is important to note that the neurotoxin "must" be properly diluted when used around the lips and mouth in this manner.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your question. It depends on when you had the Juvederm injected. Swelling can occur after injections which can last for up to two weeks. So it could still be swelling that is causing your lips to be more full then they will end up being. If it has been longer then two weeks then this will likely not go away until the filler natural goes away on its own, which can be from 6-12 months. Therefore, If you are unhappy with your results  you can always return to your injector to have the filler dissolved with hyaluronidase. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Juvederm in the Upper Cutaneous Border of the Lip

Thank you for your question - sorry to hear you are not happy with your results. The short answer is, it depends. It typically takes anywhere from 10-14 days for residual swelling to go away after a filler injection - especially in the lips. If you are past that point, then you may want to consider dissolving the filler (if you are really unhappy with it). This can be done easily with a hyaluronidase - and it's safe and nearly instantaneous.

I typically reserve Juvederm for the upper and lower lip itself. For patients with lip lines, I will usually treat with a little Botox to help smooth things out, and then use a thinner filler, like restylane silk, and fill each line individually. This filler typically provides less bulk and will decrease the chances of having an odd "duckiness" to the upper lip. Of course, if the lines are very deep, then you may want to consider microdermabrasion or a peel to go after things more aggressively. Best of luck! 

Juvederm Effects

Hi there, sorry to hear you are not happy with the results from your filler injections. Juvederm will typically last between six and nine months in the area that you had it injected. I'm not sure how long it has been since it has been injected, although expect swelling for one to two weeks post procedure. Finally, if you wish to have it dissolved you can by having a product called hyaluronidase injected.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Options for Too Much Juvederm--Dissolve if Necessary

I'm not sure when you had your procedure, but yes it will go away. It takes about 6-18 months for Juvederm to dissolve, but if you're unhappy you can have the filler dissolved and try another technique next time. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer