Hematoma surgically corrected, post op drain placed.

How long is this post op drain usually in place? i have had it since Friday morning after they opened my right breast and drained it.

Speak to your plastic surgeon, it is best

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. Sorry to learn about your concerns.

The best advice that I can give you is that you should speak to your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns.

This is important because every surgeon has different perspectives, the only one that should be important is the one that operated on you ;)

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Breast Augmentation

Drain in place after hematoma

Thanks for the question.  Patients are typically asked to monitor the daily output of the drain to give their surgeon an idea of when it can be removed.  I like to see < 30cc over consecutive days.  This should occur within a few days to a week after your surgery. 

Hematoma and Drain

The purpose of the drain is to remove any excess fluid ie: hematoma. We usually like to removed it when you have less than 30 to 35 cc in 24 h. Usually from a few days to a week.

Rafael Gottenger, MD

Drain tube after hematoma

It varies from patient to patient, but the drain tube can't be removed until the drainage drops to 30cc/24h (at least that's what I use in my practice).  This can take several days.

Duration of drain

Thank you for your question. It is totally upto your surgeon. It depending on how much and what it is draining. Please follow up with your surgeon closely

Breast drain

A drain can stay in for as long as the surgeon feels comfortable that whatever fluid remains will naturally be absorbed by your body.  A drains may stay in for a day or two or a week or more.

Drains

I'm sure each plastic surgeon has their own protocol. Mine is that the drain is able to come out after a 24 hour period of 30 mL or less. After hematoma, however, the solid blood that's within the tissues may take 10 days or so to liquefy. Therefore, I may tend to leave the drain a few more days. Ask your plastic surgeon what their protocol is. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Hematoma surgically corrected, post op drain placed

Hi... thank you for the question, every drain have an indication, you should ask this to your PS to have an specific answer, In my practice after 4-7 days i take them off if everything is in order. 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Drain removal

Usually the drain will stay in place as long as there is significant drainage.If the drainage is less than say 30cc per 24 hours it can go.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I appreciate your question.

Check with your surgeon as he/she will have their own protocol.  I remove mine when output is less than 20cc for a few consecutive days.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz