I am a 64 year old male with thinning hair. About 65% left on crown, top, receding hairline. Would PRP restore or help?

Thanks.

PRP and PRP combination treatments rely on the amount of viable hair follicles you still have on your scalp

Thank you for your question. You’re 64-years-old with thinning hair, and say you still have 65% of your hair, and ask if platelet-rich plasma (PRP) can help restore or improve your appearance.

I can give you some guidance based on how we answer this for people who come to our practice. A little background: I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I’ve been in practice for over 20 years in Manhattan and Long Island. I am also the founder of TrichoStem™ Hair Regeneration Centers, a system we developed where we use platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and Acellular matrix in a way to non-surgically treat men and women with genetic pattern loss with an over 99% success rate. I have a lot of experience with platelet-rich plasma (PRP), which we use in our practice for a lot of indications from: skin texture and quality, scar revision, acne scars, wrinkles, under eye dark circles and in context for our solutions for hair loss.

To first answer whether or not platelet-rich plasma (PRP) helps hair loss, it is somewhat measured since you did not submit any photo.  Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) does stimulate hair growth, but it is limited to the number of hair follicles and how much your hair will respond. In my experience, when people go for platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections for hair loss, they need to go at least once a month, if not once every 2-3 months to keep getting the injections to sustain some growth. When you stop the injections, the growth stops as well.

In our practice, we have a solution called Hair Regeneration. In a situation where you describe as having 65% of your hair, we have to see how many follicles are there on your scalp that are salvageable, and what stage of hair thinning are the rest of the hair follicles?  With Hair Regeneration, we’re able to stop hair loss progression, reactivate hair that’s not been growing which is a characteristic of pattern genetic hair loss where hair is in a prolonged resting phase, and induce thinning hairs to shed so thicker hairs grow in. This treatment is actually usually a one-time treatment. We do the injection and patients come in for follow-up every 3-6 months. In some situations of more advanced hair loss, we do another injection in around 15-18 months. A big distinction of Hair Regeneration is the material Acellular matrix. We figured out over several years an algorithm that takes into account the age, progression, level of hair loss, gender, and other variables. We have patients who come from all over the world for the Hair Regeneration treatment, so we certainly have more than enough of experience since we do a lot of these treatments.

I think you should meet with doctors. I question whether or not you really have 65% of your hair because it is commonly accepted in our field that when someone notices hair thinning, they’ve already lost 50% of their hair. You may have thicker hair, which means you have good coverage, but you probably don’t have 65% of your hair. If you do, that’s fantastic as it gives someone like myself more to work with, which leads to better results. This brings home the last point which is the more hair we have to work with in terms of hair follicles, the better it is because we have something to regenerate. Once the hair follicle is gone, it’s gone.

Answering the question about being able to recover, when you think about hair thinning, if you have a frontal or temporal recession, last one out is from the back end. The temple areas, or the farthest point, will start to come forward. If it’s the crown area, the fringe goes inward, and goes from in to out. When you are losing hair, it goes from out to in when your hair comes back, so the more you have to work with, the better it is. Learn the differentiation between platelet-rich plasma (PRP) alone, and this technology I described called Hair Regeneration. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

PRP and Thinning Hair

Thanks for your question!  It is difficult to say what you are a good candidate for without photos, but from your description of things, it sounds like you would be an excellent candidate for PRP scalp injections.  You may also want to consider a Neograft hair transplant.  Be sure to consult with a hair specialist!  Best of luck!

Treating thinning hair

Thanks for your question. PRP may be effective for you, though it is hard to say without examining you.  PRP has the potential to stimulate your hair follicles by concentrating your own growth factors. PRP is not magical in all cases, and I would recommend you see a busy hair restoration physician with excellent experience and results with PRP.  I would caution you that all systems that generate PRP are not the same, and in my experience, some systems provide much heartier results for hair restoration.  Look at the results of the doctor you when you are in consultation to see if the results look great.Best of luck from Manhattan.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

PRP as an option for hair loss

You can consider PRP as an option for your hair loss of your degree of hair loss is not advanced. For advanced hair loss, hair transplant is a better option. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP and Hair Loss

I would definitely consider PRP with your description of your hair loss.  An in patient evaluation is necessary to determine if you are a good candidate and the degree of hair loss in a given area.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

65 with hair loss; ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

In my opinion, you should see a PRP hair expert. They will do a good history and examination. Often magnification is necessary. There are four events that happen after PRP ; the hair starts to grow faster, hair loss diminishes, hairs  get thicker, dormant follicles may re grow. Without a picture of your condition, you and your provider need to determine if you will be satisfied with an increased thickness of the existing hair as well as a decrease in hair loss. Regrowth is extremely variable and unpredictable. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

PRP and hair

Certainly from my experience over the last two years I have found the high concentration of platelets 4-5 times would be the most effective form of PRP.  It has the ability to increase the thickness of the hair, number of hair follicles and the vitality.  it is not for everyone and it works in approximately 60% of patients who have found most clinical effect.l  I use the Angel system from a Company called Biotherapy.  I have no financial interest in it.  I use it also for facial rejuvenation.

Mr Basim Matti
Consultant Plastic Surgeon
London
UK