What can I do about these bags under my eyes? (Photo)

Lower eyelid blepharoplasty

Hi seen your pic .you will benefit from lower eyelid blepharoplasty and repositioning of fat pockets after removing the excess skin.please do consult a oculoplastic surgeon and then go ahead with the procedure.

Lower lid bags

You have some pretty significant fat prolapse, so fillers may not work for you.  You should consider a lower lid blepharoplasty with fat repositioning.  In this surgery the fat is moved down into the tear trough to fill in the hollow.  Much better than taking out the fat which can cause hollowing.  This can be done with local sedation - haven't used general anesthesia for any of these surgeries in 25 years.  Se an oculoplastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic eyelid surgery.       

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

I suggest seeing an expert for treatment a combination of lasers, microneedling/PRP and fillers will be helpful.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lower Blepharoplasty to Remove Eye Bags

A lower blepharoplasty is a surgery that smoothens the puffiness underneath the eyes.  This is accomplished by either removing or reposition the fat pockets underneath the eyelids.  Is some patients, it may be combined with adding volume to the cheek area to help smoothen the transition from the eye to the cheek.  If there is excess skin, then a small amount of skin can be removed.    A lower blepharoplasty is not good for: 1)  Pigmentary changes of the skin of the lower eyelid.  (Darkening of the skin) 2)  Very fine lines of the lower lid.   For very fine line, a chemical peel or a laser can be used for fine lines. Fillers, most likely restylane, can be a great non-surgical option.  Restylane can be used successfully for a liquid eyelift in the correct patients.In your case, I would recommend a lower lid blepharoplasty with repositioning of the fat pads.  You may require removal of excess lower lid skin.  I do not believe you are a good non-surgical/liquid eyelift candidate.   

Lower lid bags - what to do?

Thank you for asking about your lower lid bags.
  • You need to have a lower lid lift, also called a lower lid blepharoplasty.
  • It will tighten the loose skin, remove the excess fat and tighten the muscle of the lower lid.
  • It is usually done with general anesthesia as an out patient with sutures out in 5 days and bruising gone in 10 - 14 days.
  • No sports or aerobic exercise for 3 weeks, usually although walking is fine.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS